Think GPU blew. Need help :)

ModestAxis

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
So yesterday i was playing swtor... and while chilling and questing with with my oh so lovely sith the game suddenly froze. No biggies i though, it was somewhat strange as my computer is usually ultra stable and i have not have a single problem with it since i bought it 3 years or so ago... maybe 4 actually. I restarted the computer eager to go back on my jedi onslaught. what was my suprise when the computer powered up as normal (felt like it at least)... but their was and still is no display on it what so ever.

My first tought was... well *** its either Cpu, Gpu or mobo... i ruled out the cpu i think because im guessing it would show something on the screen if it was the proccessor. I doubt its the mobo (i hope not too i would really hate to have to change that..) because everything seems to power up fine.... all my fans on my cpu and gpu are working fine. and its seems to be powering the same way it used to. gpu is probably it then im guessing.

If any of you have an idea as to find out how i could know for sure its the gpu considering i dont have the small speaker in my pc :p never thought it would be useful, now i feel like an idiot :).

also i used to have a 260gtx so at least if its the gpu im guessing it would be a good oportunity to boost it a little bit :p since 260 is indeed getting old. im hesitating between a 460gtx and a 560 gtx... im not very rich so id like it to not cost too much 460 right now is 140 box in a store near my house and 560 is about 100$ over with the possibility of going with maybe the overclocked version (im guessing no cuz i like coolness in my pc and it lacks ventilation and anyway i will overclock it myself if i feel like it.) or the version on crack of the 560 with 2 gig ram (i think im i wrong) wich would go a little bit over 300. 140$ seems like a prcie id be ready to pay, and ill prolly build a fresh pc in a year or 2.

What would you guys suggest?

i like stability more then anything when it comes to pc. I want my parts to last and work well under a lot of stress. I also like good performance and as i was very pleased with my old gpu before it ******* decided it would be funny sto spit in my face. but i heard 460 tend to get really ******* hot. Im i wrong? i also heard clocked at the same speed 460 is only 10 percent slower then a 560? im i right or wrong?

also i have to say in the past months i installed a second monitor on my computer... the second monitor is a very old 17 inch lcd monitor who only plug trough VGA (yeah those ugly ass blue plug) i used an adapter to make the second dvi slot in the 260 a vga..) it worked fine and dandy... and to be honest i could not go back to one monitor (well i could, just like a bird can live with is wing clipped but thats barely a life right?) the functionality it has makes it so im tottally hooked. but could the adaptater help blow my card? or was the second monitor too much for that old 260 gtx to handle. i would really love to keep it tough :(

any advice is welcomed :)

Sorry for bad english :)..

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Eeeeeew. Do not buy hardware from a store. Even if you have to pay 50% in shipping costs to get it to you, it'll be worth getting whatever card online.
Yea, the 560 is just a slightly overclocked 460 with a better cooler. You can use an adapter to plug your monitor into the newer plug in the graphics card, and they aren't expensive.

ModestAxis

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
the reason i need to buy from a store is because first i dont want to wait 2 weeks for a new gpu XD and if the problem is indeed the mobo i can rturn the card without any hassle and try the fn mobo instead.

G

it would be a good idea to make sure its your gpu before you buy another card.

i am going to assume you do'nt have an old spare card handy. can you go to the store and buy a cheap card to switch in your box? depending on store policy you may be able to return it for a small restocking fee.

ModestAxis

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
its a decent psu 650watt i think or maybe be a 1000 i dont remember... its acooler master and i choose it cuz at the time i wanted to sli to gtx 260 so i think it should be fine... ill try your trick thorny will pos back result

ModestAxis

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
no it didint work... no good nada same problem.... ill just go get a 460 gtx and if i dont like it ill switch for the 560 later within the week... and if its not the pcu well f*** me... ill have a lot of trouble shooting to do....

oh and the psu is a 650 w... it looks i great condition too.... doubt its that.

G

ouch
cooler masters are not a quality psu. if you have problems with a new card you will want to start looking at that.