Think i narrowed it down!!

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I've been having problems running any 3d application the computer would crash everytime i tryed to run one. Thought it was just in 4x but actually it was also occurring in 2x as well. Tryed a bunch of stuff: Irq sharing negated, moved cards around, screwed witth bios alot,new drivers,and eventually re-partitioned, re-formated hd,and fresh instllof windows andall clean installs of updated drivers, updated bios to latest version which is a beta nothing, vid. bios updated. The times i would get it to work it would work all day just perfectly, but then after shutting down overnight, when booted next day, it would be back to its old tricks. I then unhooked my cd rom and rewritable from power supply, then unhooked my two cxase fans and unhooked the live drive for my soumd card. this fixed it was able to run 3d apps all day. shut down fro a little while and still able to run. however the next day it wouldnt run, instead it would kick me back to desktop instead more so than crashing, but now i just had to shut down the cpu one or twice then re-boot and then it would run okay. I think I'm having a power supply issue, I also think i'm borderline between having ebough power and and not enough which is probably why it changes when shutting down and powereing up. I have power management disabled in myh bios and now im just running without my live drive or my case fans stably one i do a couple of shut downs to get it baqck on track. sys. specs:

athlon 1.2gig @266
a7m266mobo
pc2100 ddr 256 ram
ibm 75gpx deskstar 30gig
toshiba dvd/cdrom
plextor 12/10/32 rewritable
iomega externaml 100mb zip
leadtek winfast geforceII ultra
sb live platinum
nic 3c905b-tx
win me
det.6.50
bios rev.1004b
vid bios verson 6
2case fans 80mm rear and 40mm front
1.44 floppy
klipsch promedia speakers
mitsubishi diamond pro 2020u 22 inc.
enermax 350watt power supply

I dont know much about how power is distributed throught the computer but does this sound like a ps issue?thanks

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Heck no.. I have as much stuff in my box as you and I'm using some generic 300W PSU. I occasionally get spikes and dips on the +12 and +5V leads but otherwise I'm fine playing 3D games.

Just the fact that you're able to run 3D games stably for awhile tells me that its not a PSU issue.

I can't provide any more insight into your problem, but at least you should know that unless you've got a bad PSU, thats unlikely to be the problem.