Think I need more fans?

Solution
The Sniper board you chose has 1x cpu_fan and 3x sys_fan 4pin headers, which is real nice. If you choose to add a fan controller, that's your choice, however its not needed. With this you can hook up the cpu fan to cpu_fan, the 140mm exhaust to sys_fan1, use a splitter and hook 140mm intake and 120mm HDD to sys_fan2 and the 2x120mm front intakes should have a splitter already, and hook that up to sys_fan3. Only cpu_fan has a need for PWM fans and the Hyper212 has that, so you can turn the cpu fan down some to acceptable noise/temp levels, the system fans can be either 3pin standard or 4pin pwm, but if you do match 140mm intake with 120mm HDD or 120mm exhaust with 120mm HDD, then both would have to be the same, 3 pin or 4 pin, and use...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2 top mount exhaust fans would be a great idea. Just keep in mind that in idle temps, those 3x 120mm fans will produce more exhaust than the 1x 200mm intake fan can supply. That will mean a 'negative' balance inside the case, which will quickly alleviate itself bt drawing air from wherever it can, every crack and cranny, most of which will not be filtered, filling your case with dust quickly. During load times, the 1x 200m will supply more intake than the 3x 120mm can exhaust, so no worries there.

Just make sure to turn the top exhaust fans down or off when temps inside the case don't warrant them being used, but able to turn up when that GTX 770 really kicks it in gear.

Very nice build btw, but you are stretching the limits with that psu, a GTX 770 requires 42A and 600w, your psu is only capable of 40A and 520w

Kerpshocker

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Thanks man, I forgot to change that after I changed from a GTX 760 to a GTX 770! Would have sucked :/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
stats on your case say it'll handle a 200mm fan, so I'd go with the CoolerMaster Megaflow 200mm, which is supposedly quieter, or the Bitfenix spectre pro led, and swap that out for the original case fan, and put the original up top. The Spectre pro has much higher airflow. The led should light up the inside of the case pretty well with the original 200mm, up to you if you want led out front

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
XFX is made by seasonic, so no worries there. Corsair HX or AX is good.. RM has unresolved issues and CX is well, not that good. Antec HCG is 2nd tier.. so is really good too. My suggestions would be either Seasonic 650w, XFX 650w or Antec HCG 620. Any would be more than enough, are well built, reliable, and roomy enough for some breathing room, even with decent OC

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Very, very nice choice in cases. Plenty of fan options. I would get 2x 140mm with High CFM/airflow. These I'd put one on the bottom as intake, swap out the 1x 120mm exhaust for the other and mount the stock 120mm on the HDD cage blowing on the gpu. This will have the benefit of lots of intake airflow with a definite flow across the gpu, yet having the 140 below will help blow air upwards to be either picked up by the gpu/cpu fans or helping heat escape out the top. The 140mm exhaust will collect the majority of heat coming off the Hyper212 and exhausting that. You won't need LED fans for this as you have a non windowed case, so some good airflows are all that's needed. The benefits to the 140mm's are slower speed, less noise for the same if not more airflow than the 120mm's.

With this case and its airflow capability, you'll be able to turn down the fans a lot, I have a setup similar to this and my idle temp is @27* and full load cpu @38*, full load gpu @47* in case temps. At idle, my cpu fan runs @260 rpm, intake fans at 455rpm if that's any indication of how much noise you can expect with good airflow and some good pwm fans. I even have a 140mm as top exhaust, but doesn't run until case temps reach 35*

Kerpshocker

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
So if I understand you correctly.

2x 140mm fans blowing in
1x 120mm stock fan on HDD cage blowing at gpu
1x 120mm stock fan on front blowing out
1x 120mm stock fan on back of case blowing out

Should I get anything for the top of the case?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1x 140mm mounted to bottom next to psu (new)
1x 140mm mounted as exhaust in back (new, in place of 120mm stock)
1x 120mm mounted to HDD cage -> gpu (original from exhaust)
2x 120mm LED intake (original stock)

This will create good airflow from lower-front area and allow for heat exhaust in upper-rear. With the available fan vents in top creating a natural place for heat to escape from, the additional 140mm lower intake blowing air up will help that. Most of the cpu radiated heat will be exhausted by the 140mm rear. Higher CFM (high airflow) fans will help that even more.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Sniper board you chose has 1x cpu_fan and 3x sys_fan 4pin headers, which is real nice. If you choose to add a fan controller, that's your choice, however its not needed. With this you can hook up the cpu fan to cpu_fan, the 140mm exhaust to sys_fan1, use a splitter and hook 140mm intake and 120mm HDD to sys_fan2 and the 2x120mm front intakes should have a splitter already, and hook that up to sys_fan3. Only cpu_fan has a need for PWM fans and the Hyper212 has that, so you can turn the cpu fan down some to acceptable noise/temp levels, the system fans can be either 3pin standard or 4pin pwm, but if you do match 140mm intake with 120mm HDD or 120mm exhaust with 120mm HDD, then both would have to be the same, 3 pin or 4 pin, and use the splitter (black,red,yellow wires is 3pin) to intake or exhaust, and the off split (usually just black/red wires, is 3pin) to power HDD 120mm.

Gigabyte will supply software to play with all the fan settings, if not, you can download something like 'speed fan' and that'll take care of it.
When you set all this up though, get a free dl called 'hwmonitor' and use that to monitor the temps in your case, that way you'll know how much to turn down your fans from full speed to acceptable noise/temp levels

Solution