[SOLVED] Think my b450 tomahawk is faulty

Feb 17, 2020
So i have just got all my pc parts, and i disassembled all the parts from my old pc and added the ones i needed to my new build. Im planning to use ryzen 5 3600x with the motherboard, so i needed to do a bios update with the usb flash drive.
I did my research, and realized that you only need the power supply for this to work, so i hooked my psu 24 pin and 8 pin cables to the mobo but got no response. No LED flashing and psu fan didnt spin.
I added rgb ram to the board and still got nothing. To make sure it wasnt the psu, i tested the psu a couple of times and it worked every time so im sure its the motherboard. I

might have to return it soon, but it would only cost me more time and money, so if there is a chance of fixing this board, i would be very grateful.

Solution
If you have the CPU and RAM installed and the power supply connected, you can short the power pins in F_PANEL as DarkBreeze suggests to get the system to power up.

-Wolf sends
Feb 17, 2020
@Darkbreeze - Doesn't the FlashBIOS button take care of that? (seriously, don't know since the manual doesn't specify)

@Slasher6969 - Did you:

1. Format your USB using FAT32?
  2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM when you stored it onto the USB drive?
  3. Connect the USB port to the appropriate USB port (lowest below the PS/2 port)?
-Wolf sends
Thats exactly what i did, but the light on the bios button didnt fl
@Darkbreeze - Doesn't the FlashBIOS button take care of that? (seriously, don't know since the manual doesn't specify)

@Slasher6969 - Did you:

1. Format your USB using FAT32?
  2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM when you stored it onto the USB drive?
  3. Connect the USB port to the appropriate USB port (lowest below the PS/2 port)?
-Wolf sends
Thats exactly what i did, but the light on the bios button didnt flash. Although later i realized that this version of the mobo is ryzen 3000 ready. So all i need now is something that will tell me this board is still alive.

later i realized that this version of the mobo is ryzen 3000 ready. So all i need now is something that will tell me this board is still alive.

So, if you were trying to flash a BIOS image for the regular Tomahawk, on your board which is likely the Tomahawk max if it came Ryzen 3000 ready, then either it probably wouldn't accept the BIOS version because it was not compatible or already had that version, or it borked the board. If nothing ever flashed at all, that might be a good thing.

I'd try as Wolf has indicated and install the CPU and memory and front panel connections and cooler and try to see if it will power on.

Feb 17, 2020
So, if you were trying to flash a BIOS image for the regular Tomahawk, on your board which is likely the Tomahawk max if it came Ryzen 3000 ready, then either it probably wouldn't accept the BIOS version because it was not compatible or already had that version, or it borked the board. If nothing ever flashed at all, that might be a good thing.

I'd try as Wolf has indicated and install the CPU and memory and front panel connections and cooler and try to see if it will power on.
I will try this but it might take some time. Do you think i need to install cpu cooler? And will the thermal paste get ruined after removing the cpu?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, you should install the CPU Cooler and yes, if you later remove the CPU cooler, you will need to clean the CPU and heatsink and reapply new thermal paste. It's not so much that the paste is "ruined", but removing the cooler after the initial installation can create air pockets which limits the thermal transition from the CPU to the heatsink.

-Wolf sends

The "paste" doesn't get ruined. The "installation" of the paste, gets ruined. What was a good mount and thermal paste job before, after removal, isn't anymore, and needs to be completely cleaned up and done over, just as Wolf has indicated.

If you don't have thermal paste, then it would be advisable to get some before doing anything that requires removal of the CPU cooler once it's installed.

I actually JUST finished a new build for a client using the exact same parts as what you've told us you are using. Same board, same CPU. Hopefully yours turns out to be no problem.

Reactions: Slasher6969
Feb 17, 2020
The "paste" doesn't get ruined. The "installation" of the paste, gets ruined. What was a good mount and thermal paste job before, after removal, isn't anymore, and needs to be completely cleaned up and done over, just as Wolf has indicated.

If you don't have thermal paste, then it would be advisable to get some before doing anything that requires removal of the CPU cooler once it's installed.

I actually JUST finished a new build for a client using the exact same parts as what you've told us you are using. Same board, same CPU. Hopefully yours turns out to be no problem.

Sorry for the late reply, turns out the motherboard wasnt faulty, all i needed to do was shorten the power circuit and it worked! Anyways, finished my first build, everything seems working great (except for the usb 3 cable which was detached when i tried removing it) but i never used it anyways so didnt need it. Experiencing with some overclocking currently and testing the build's limits. Although the experience was a bit frustrating, but the outcome was really satisfying to get!