[SOLVED] Think my computer is just dead

Kyle_115

Honorable
Oct 27, 2016
My pc when i power up does nothing. it will turn but nothing comes onto screen, no beeps, no error codes, no display, nothing but runs for maybe 20 - 30 secs and automatically powers down. sits maybe 10 secs automatically turns back on. then it keeps looping what i just mentioned on/off/on/off. It is like an endless cycle and it does absolutely nothing. I thought i should mention this computer is 10 years old and uses an MSI Z-68 mobo. It had been acting strange for past 2 years with random resets.

Since there is no info of any kind put up on screen or even beeps for that matter im just assuming its dead.

I dont think its PSU as that part is relatively new and is actually on its 3rd PSU. All the peripherals power up when i flip on power, the fans turn, video card fans power up, i can hear the dvd drive power up, etc. I have checked for loose connections, improperly seated ram and a few other things

Solution
sounds like a bad motherboard, or power supply.
I would look at the RAM, try one stick at a time in the second slot from the socket. You could also clear CMOS by removing the battery after turning the computer off and flipping the switch on the PSU to off or disconnecting the cord and then holding the power button for 10-20 seconds to drain the caps.

Kyle_115

Honorable
Oct 27, 2016
I checked the ram again tonight, checked for loose connection on cpu power wire, checked all over for loose /broken wires and nothing. Everything seems power up just fine except that nothing is happening. I even cleared the CMOS and still nothing. Guess I will just save up for a new computer

Kyle_115

Honorable
Oct 27, 2016
At least there are lots of good parts I can salvage off this PC to swap into my new build. The video card works great, plus it's got 2 good hdds and 3 ssds and more. If I had to guess I would say it's the mobo