[SOLVED] Think my wireless router is dying. Need recommendations for new one.

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I currently have a Linksys EA6350 wireless router. I have had it for several years and it has been working fine until recently. My laptop shows it is connected to the home network but it has no internet connection. The internet connection comes and goes randomly. I have reset both the router and the modem, but that didn't help.

Our house is a split level ranch style house, not very big, and the laptop is located on the bottom level. Also, when I took my android tablet downstairs it lost the wifi signal.

I tried using my phone as a wifi hotspot to test the laptop antenna and it connected and didn't loose the signal.

This is everything that is using the wifi signal in our house: Smart TV, 2 android phones, 2 android tablets, laptop, printer and Harmony universal remote. We have been using all these devices for a while with no troubles. Is it common for wifi signal to loose strength over time?

So, I am looking for recommendations for a new router. The devices using wifi are used for email and streaming videos from YouTube, Netflix and Amazon. I haven't kept up with all the new router tech, but I know I don't need WiFi 6. What should I be looking for?

Solution
Routers with the AC1900 designation are the price/performance sweet spot. The netgear R7000 series or the Asus AC68U are good choices.
Another option, is to turn OFF the WIFI on your current router and connect a WIFI access point via ethernet cabling.

kanewolf

Titan
Routers with the AC1900 designation are the price/performance sweet spot. The netgear R7000 series or the Asus AC68U are good choices.
Another option, is to turn OFF the WIFI on your current router and connect a WIFI access point via ethernet cabling.

Solution

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations. I see the Netgear R7000 has been out for a while. Do you know if Netgear still puts out updates for it? There are some pretty good sale prices for Netgear routers going on right now.

One other question, mainly out of curiosity, is it worth looking at mesh routers?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the recommendations. I see the Netgear R7000 has been out for a while. Do you know if Netgear still puts out updates for it? There are some pretty good sale prices for Netgear routers going on right now.

One other question, mainly out of curiosity, is it worth looking at mesh routers?
Mesh is just a marketing term for WIFI extender in most cases. It doesn't provide anything that other products can provide.