Question Thinking about a new build?

May 22, 2020
Hi all, apologies if this is a little imprecise, but it's been about 8 years since I built my last rig and all the time at home has made me itching to build a new one. I haven't checked prices and the market in ages - has COVID-19 affected prices at all? I know it's never really a "good" time to build a rig (there's always something better around the corner), but has the coronavirus made it an especially bad time to refresh my old PC?

May 16, 2020
It depends on the country you are in as well as the part, but from my experience in the UK, COVID has not affected prices that much. Worst case around £10 more but most of the parts have remained the same, some even down.

Over on https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/, when you click a PC Part, at the bottom it shows you a graph of the price history of the part in question, a good approximation of the price trend in a certain amount of time.

What is your budget? With the rise of Ryzen and the new Comet Lakes, a budget CPU that can run games exponentially well is as easy as it has been for a little while now and the NVIDIA 2000 series which has great performance from around the 2060 to the 2070S.

May 22, 2020
I was thinking 1k-1.5k for my budget excluding monitor and peripherals. From a cursory checking pcpartpicker (which I don't think was even around the last time I built a rig, great tool!) looks like I can achieve that with a nice ryzen and 2070 super based build.

GarrettL

Respectable
Dec 4, 2019
I was thinking 1k-1.5k for my budget excluding monitor and peripherals. From a cursory checking pcpartpicker (which I don't think was even around the last time I built a rig, great tool!) looks like I can achieve that with a nice ryzen and 2070 super based build.
I have a 3800x and 2070S @ 1440p, it's awesome!

Do you have a Micro Center near you?

May 22, 2020
Unfortunately no, it's just gonna be Amazon/Walmart/Newegg for me. I'm not in a big rush since I've got a small kid and daycare's closed for the time being, so I'll probably just start putting together a list of options and put in an order when it looks like daycare will become a reliable option again...

ASK THE COMMUNITY