[SOLVED] Thinking about a new system

CodyMondo

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Greetings, i built my current system in 2015, and its had 4 upgrades. right now it has a Core i5 4590, 16GB RAM and a GTA1050ti

im considering building a new rig but i gotta be honest, im way out of the PC world. i haven't been in with everything since the 4th gen intel CPU's were new.
i have lots of questions.

1: With DDR3, 1600mHz was kinda the "normal go to". What would be the "normal go to" for DDR4? there's so many different speeds out there i dont know what to pick or if im looking at something that is way overkill or too slow.

2: Ive been reading on the new ryzen CPUs from watching LTT and im considering the Ryzen 5 3600 but i haven't looked deeply into CPU's

3: For gaming my 1050ti is perfectly fine for my 1080p BUT im considering going to to 2560x1080 or a 1440p display, and like the rest im not up to date with the new GPU's and dont know what would be a good upgrade from the 1050ti

4: Im familiar with SSD's but what about an M.2 for a boot drive? since a quick newegg search shows alot of even cheaper MOBOs have an M.2 slot.

Im sure im forgetting somithing else.
What do you guys suggest?

Solution
As for cpus Ryzen pretty good especially if your planning on gaming. I just upgraded to the Ryzen 7 3700x a few months ago and it performs like a dream for anything I've done with it. (albeit probably nothing super duper intensive)

As for 2k gaming. Honestly Imo not worth it for the price point at this moment in time. Plus mostly the newer games are the only ones supporting it so consider if you play new games enough and how much you pay attention to detail vs action and gamplay but you didn't come for my opinion on that. If your going to upgrade graphics cards make sure you get a "SUPER" card unless you find the non-super one for significantly less (as they might be trying to get rid of them since the super is better.) and if your...

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
As for cpus Ryzen pretty good especially if your planning on gaming. I just upgraded to the Ryzen 7 3700x a few months ago and it performs like a dream for anything I've done with it. (albeit probably nothing super duper intensive)

As for 2k gaming. Honestly Imo not worth it for the price point at this moment in time. Plus mostly the newer games are the only ones supporting it so consider if you play new games enough and how much you pay attention to detail vs action and gamplay but you didn't come for my opinion on that. If your going to upgrade graphics cards make sure you get a "SUPER" card unless you find the non-super one for significantly less (as they might be trying to get rid of them since the super is better.) and if your planning on budget upgrade I would recommend a 2060 or 2070 (both super obviously as I said) the 20 series is meant more to project us into 4k gaming from my understanding so either should be fine.

For SSDs I've watched a few videos comparing game loading time between sata and m.2 and it's not much of a difference if any at all from what I've seen. Plus sata SSDs are cheaper most of the time. I personally won't buy an SSD unless it's under 1$ per GB. (that's partially because I have a 1tb and don't need another one but I also like this mindset as it keeps me from spending an uneccesary amount on SSDs.

Also keep in mind the power requirements. Before you buy/upgrade you should make a list of all your current parts on pcpartpicker and delete the parts your looking to replace. Pcpartpicker offers some nice compatibility options.

I apologize for not answering the ram question. I just bought 2333Mhz or something. Whatever I could afford at the time and it works fine for me.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS