[SOLVED] Thinking about building an APU build then adding a GPU later.

xoxtrollstar

Commendable
May 11, 2018
On a tight budget, so decided this might be a good idea. Is it tho? Or should I just go with a full build from the start?

I'll mostly be playing esports titles, Overwatch in particular. So I might get a 144hz monitor from now, play on ~75hz until the gpu upgrade.

What I have currently in mind : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vcRyQq

Later on, I'll probably get an RX 570/RX 580/GTX 1650s/1660.

Last thing, if you notice that some parts are not the best price/value, they're either not available, or have weird pricing where I live. (but just in case, tell me, I accept all recommendations :D)

Solution
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.
In effect with your $360 budget for the 3400G, you are allocating $120 for the cpu and $ 240 for the gpu.
For fast action games, you might budget more for the graphics card and less for the cpu.
Intel does not get much love on these forums, but they do have fast processors and fewer threads.
That would be appropriate for your type of games.
Check out the single thread passmark ratings for any of your cpu candidates.
In principle, I do not like paying more for a feature that you know you will not use later.
On your build list, I have two thoughts:

1. 120gb for a windows ssd is too small. Many things default to the C drive.
When it fills up past 90% it will lose performance and endurance.
My suggestion is to abandon the HDD and buy a 1tb ssd of some variety for everything.
You can buy a 1tb intel 660P m,2 pcie drive for $125 or so.

2. XFX was a very good psu in it's day.
Made by seasonic.
But modern motherboards may require newer gen power supplies for full functionality.
650w is a good size.
If you own it, try it.

xoxtrollstar

Commendable
May 11, 2018
What is your total budget? Above $500 and you can usually get a decent GPU into the build.

For example...

1600 AF-$85
B450-$90
2x8gb at 3200-$80
Storage-$70
RX 570-$120
Case-$40
PSU-$70

Around $550 total.
Prices are pretty bad where I live. My build would cost around $700.
Also, I couldn't find the Ryzen 5 1600 AF anywhere, unfortunately.

WildCard999

Titan
Prices are pretty bad where I live. My build would cost around $700.
Also, I couldn't find the Ryzen 5 1600 AF anywhere, unfortunately.
Well the build you posted would work fine but I'd change the case or motherboard to something a bit cheaper and use that money for a 250gb SSD instead. The ASRock B450M A/C is a excellent motherboard for the price which can usually be found cheaper then the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.

One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.
In effect with your $360 budget for the 3400G, you are allocating $120 for the cpu and $ 240 for the gpu.
For fast action games, you might budget more for the graphics card and less for the cpu.
Intel does not get much love on these forums, but they do have fast processors and fewer threads.
That would be appropriate for your type of games.
Check out the single thread passmark ratings for any of your cpu candidates.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS