Thinking about Overclocking - Few questions.

jordancorkhill

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P and a Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.00Ghz and i want to overclock it using the stock cooler (I'll buy a 3rd party cooler if i want to go past the limits of the Stock cooler). I have 3 questions:

1) What would you recommend I Overclock it to with the stock cooler.
2) What are safe temperatures at Idle and Full Load
3) Would Overclocking the CPU show any significant difference in speed (Games, Booting up ect)

Thanks In Advance.
Jordan.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
1) What are your current idle/load temperatures?

2) "Safe" temperatures are 40c/58c, idle/full load respectively. These are hot temperatures, but it should be safe for the processor.

3) Depends on the overclock. If your only getting a 100mhz difference in OC, than no you won't notice performance differences on real time programs, not even on wordpad. (like: games). However if your OC difference is about 400 mhz higher you may or may not see a difference. Remember your CPU isn't the only component, so if your GPU is weak and pathetic than most likely your CPU is not limited the computer's performance. Remember to have balance in your system, don't go putting a HD 4870 on a pentium 4 computer. Make sure your quad core processor, Harddrive, graphics card, and ram are all on par with each other in terms of performance. For example dont get the fastest RAM available if your processor is slow. Don't get a super powerful processor if your graphics card sucks...

3) But to answer your question, yes it does significantly increase speeds for games, multi tasking, and processing intensive tasks such as video/photo editing. As for booting up, the CPU largely does not affect this. Your hard drive is what determines booting speeds, since it is the only limited factor in MOST computers for LOADING ONLY.

jordancorkhill

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

My current Idle/Load temps are 37/48-50. About the GPU ect, I plan to overclock the GPU aswell (ATI 4850) after i've been successful with the CPU overclock but im not to sure about ram. I'm looking at the OCZ Vandetta 2 ad i have heard pretty good things about it, if you have any other suggestions that are around the $50/£30 mark feel free to tell me.

Jordan.