[SOLVED] Thinking about upgrading i7 4790k

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Hey guys, once again I return to this forum to ask questions about my PC upgrade...

Recently I upgraded my Graphics card to a RTX 2070 Super because it was super cheap and it had a huge discount.

But at the moment while gaming Black Desert Online, I have a program that tells me my fps and the % usage of my GPU and CPU, the problem that I'm having right now is that when I'm just playing Black Desert Online with full-screen on and not so much graphics, my CPU often ramps up to 100% usage and then I have frame-rate drops, while my GPU still being at 15%~25% usage.

I know Black Desert Online is not famous by being good optimised, in fact this game has a lot of optimisation issues, but I also think that for my gaming PC it's time to upgrade my CPU. (And with it also the RAM and the Motherboard)

My current system is:

i7-4790k
16 GB DDR3 RAM (dunno the ram speed)
Z-97 PRO-GAMER MOBO
RTX 2070 Super
Samsung EVO 970 M.2 SSD

But my doubt here is what should I go for ?

A 10th gen CPU ? i5 ? i7 ? i9?

I was checking prices and I do want to have something cheap, but I also don't wanna be limited to certain stuff if for example i choose the i5, but it doesn't let me play the game while watching a series or a movie on the second monitor...

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
I’d wait to the 8th October and see what is announced for the new AMD generation. Then you can compare options from both AMD and Intel.
Hello thanks for you awnser but I really, but really don't wanna go for AMD, had a bad experience in the past with AMD processors... And since then Intel was the thing to go...

Altho, i saw this reddit post: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/d2d1zo/intel_cpu_or_ryzen_for_bdo_high_fps_gaming/

Which there's someone saying that BDO doesn't like that much hyperthreading, that's maybe why I did put process lasso on this game and just enabled core(or thread ?) 2 4 6 8.

Hello thanks for you awnser but I really, but really don't wanna go for AMD, had a bad experience in the past with AMD processors... And since then Intel was the thing to go...

Altho, i saw this reddit post: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/d2d1zo/intel_cpu_or_ryzen_for_bdo_high_fps_gaming/

Which there's someone saying that BDO doesn't like that much hyperthreading, that's maybe why I did put process lasso on this game and just enabled core(or thread ?) 2 4 6 8.
It’s up to you but it’s possible that AMD will finally get ahead of Intel in gaming performance. If your prior experience of AMD was anything before AM4 you can ignore it, it has no relevance on the latest platform and AMD have really upped their offerings.

TRENDING THREADS