Question Thinking about upgrading PC components

Feb 14, 2019
I'm considering upgrading my PC and wanted to get some opinions on whether I should and which parts would be worth replacing.

I bought this PC from a friend a while ago, it's about 6 years old. Lately I've been having some issues with it that I'm pretty sure is caused by overheating in the GPU (temperature gets higher than 90 degrees Celsius when gaming and causes PC to shut off).
I just finished taking all of the components out and cleaned out all of the dust and put it back together again. I tried testing it by loading a game of Overwatch but the GPU still overheats. If anyone has any other suggestions for a fix that would be great as well, however I have been considering upgrading the parts anyway so I might just get a new cooling system/graphics card. Another option I'm considering is building a new PC and reusing some of the parts.

Here's the build:

CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
BenQ GW2255 (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 290X (ATI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA )

I can provide details on specs if needed.
Any opinions or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since your GPU is overheating, i'd only replace the GPU. Your CPU, despite being Haswell family chip, has still good performance. For example, i5-4670K has equal performance to i3-8300 but diff is that you can OC your CPU while 8th gen i3 can't be OCd,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8300/1538vsm484077

For new GPU, you can go with GTX 1070,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-290X-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/2166vs3609

GTX 1070 can do high/ultra settings @ 1440p with 60+ FPS or 1080p with 144+ FPS, depending on a game.

After GPU upgrade, you can also go with 2nd 8GB stick of RAM to get total to 16GB, if you play latest AAA titles.

For shorter loading times (OS, programs, games), you can also look towards SSD as your OS drive. Once you've had SSD as an OS drive, you do not want to go back with HDD as OS drive.

And lastly, what's your PSU make and model (or part number)?

Agree the power supply could be the problem if the system is shutting down. Make sure the PSU is not starved for air, if there is a filter on the psu intake check that, or if it is sitting directly on a carpet without a flat surface (old shelving works great).

A cheap way to test cooling problems, simply open the lid when gaming and see if temps improve - can also force air via a box or table fan, the "lan party cooling mod" is very effective forced cooling. If cleaning did not work or if the forced air helps, then it could be an airflow issue - what's your case and fans mounted?

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
try running with case sides open, if that fix the heating you need to get some case fans
for upgrade-
pop in a SSD for now, it will make boot time and software load times fast and cheer you up , your system isnt that old u can still use it for another 2years, u can start saving now.
if you want to get new system very soon then
and wait till the end of this year. ryzen 3rd gen and intel 10nm chips would be out by then, get them for upgrade