[SOLVED] Thinking about Upgrading PC Components

Aug 12, 2020
Hi, I am getting into the CSGO competitive scene and I know I am at a huge disadvantage with my computer being what it is. Here are the specs:

Asus z390 ATX
Intel I5-4460 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI
Acer 144 Hz Monitor (low level/cheapest)s
Good peripherals, need a mouse upgrade but all over it

I am thinking CPU and GPU need an upgrade. What can I do to give myself a better chance?

Thanks

Solution
Motherboard: you are right! It is a z-87a
Budget: $500 cdn (*It can be increased but a comfortable spend is $500)
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+
If it's a generic 80+ like a W1 then it's an awful PSU unfortunately. So if you upgrade your GPU, you'll likely want to upgrade this as well.

It becomes difficult at this point so which would you require going down:
  • Get a new CPU, which will mean most graphical performance will be the same, but you'll also need a new Motherboard, and new RAM, which could be $500 in itself.
  • Get a new GPU which ideally would mean getting a new PSU (if it were me, as I wouldn't want a generic low end EVGA PSU powering a dedicated GPU system)
What are you hoping to achieve / want to achieve with new...
Aug 12, 2020
That chipset isn't compatible with 4th gen intel. Are you sure its not Z97 for example?

What's your budget? CPU upgrade will also require MB and RAM upgrade.
Also what is your PSU make and model (not just wattage)?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's a generic 80+ like a W1 then it's an awful PSU unfortunately. So if you upgrade your GPU, you'll likely want to upgrade this as well.

• Get a new CPU, which will mean most graphical performance will be the same, but you'll also need a new Motherboard, and new RAM, which could be $500 in itself.
  • Get a new GPU which ideally would mean getting a new PSU (if it were me, as I wouldn't want a generic low end EVGA PSU powering a dedicated GPU system)
What are you hoping to achieve / want to achieve with new components that your current ones don't satisfy?

Solution
Aug 12, 2020

What are you hoping to achieve / want to achieve with new components that your current ones don't satisfy?
Thank you for the reply and advice. I am hoping to achieve better hit registration and fps.