Thinking about "using" displayport

Lespaul678

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
This has got to be the best place to ask this question. As of right now I have a GTX 970, it has DVI, HDMI and Displayport ports on it. Now I'm noticing that all these new(er) cards nowadays are starting to have more and more displayport ports on them and less of others (somewhat irrelevant) I am also using a 40" LED tv that I love, everything looks so great while playing games and such. But I am getting more and more curious about using, or trying to use the displayport.

I have no idea how to use displayport and I never have used it, but I hear great things about it, but my tv/monitor doesn't have a displayport connection on it.

So....this is why I'm here, posting this. Any help? Any way for me to have this without buying a "full fledged" monitor that has them built in?

p.s. I don't need to worry about it carrying an audio signal, I get my audio via a different method.

Thanks.

Solution
Hello, Lespaul678

Differences Between HDMI and DisplayPort:
Display port has a locking mechanism
also supports 4K 60FPS while HDMI can only go 4k at 30FPS
Displayport can send any type of signal through it, HDMI only network,video, and audio.
Pretty much displayport is fancy HDMI

-Mouse

Rhezner

Admirable
displayport is for high resolution displays, if your TV is 1080P then displayport wont be any different than hdmi. Also hdmi 2.0 supports 4k as well.

If you insist on using displayport the only way to do it is to get a displayport to hdmi adapter

Mouse117

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hello, Lespaul678

Differences Between HDMI and DisplayPort:
Display port has a locking mechanism
also supports 4K 60FPS while HDMI can only go 4k at 30FPS
Displayport can send any type of signal through it, HDMI only network,video, and audio.
Pretty much displayport is fancy HDMI

-Mouse

Solution