[SOLVED] Thinking of an upgrade for my old r3 1200

Mathias Adya

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
So I recently bought a new set of ram which is KLEVV Bolt X 2x8 3200Mhz DDR4, so I thought it will go well with my MSI A320M GRENADE and r3 1200, but somehow I guess the r3 1200 isn't capable for 3200Mhz with non-samsung b die sticks. So now I'm thinking of buying a new CPU instead because its already old and I want to maximize my ram to its fullest and of course have a better performance rather than my current CPU especially for gaming. Any CPU suggestion that'll work with my motherboard as well my ram?

Specs Right Now:
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 3.1Ghz
Motherboard: MSI A320M Grenade
RAM: 2x8 KLEVV Bolt X 3200Mhz DDR4
VGA: GIGABYTE RX 570 4GB
PSU: Enlight 500W

Last edited:
Solution
So I recently bought a new set of ram which is KLEVV Bolt X 2x8 3200Mhz DDR4, so I thought it will go well with my MSI A320M GRENADE and r3 1200, but somehow I guess the r3 1200 isn't capable for 3200Mhz with non-samsung b die sticks. So now I'm thinking of buying a new CPU instead because its already old and I want to maximize my ram to its fullest and of course have a better performance rather than my current CPU especially for gaming. Any CPU suggestion that'll work with my motherboard as well my ram?

Specs Right Now:
Ryzen 5 3600X (6 core/12 thread) would be a good upgrade for that board. It...

Specs Right Now:
Ryzen 5 3600X (6 core/12 thread) would be a good upgrade for that board. It could probably handle a 3700X (8/12) well enough since it can't overclock. There's really no need just for gaming but if the price difference isn't a burden it can make for much smoother operation with the 2 extra cores/4 threads working for you. Especially if you like to run multiple open apps and/or a lot of tabs open in web browsing.

Be sure to update BIOS to the latest before you remove the old CPU and then reset CMOS before starting up with the new CPU and run with it in full default settings for a while before trying to set XMP for memory. That's just to see if everything's working well with the new CPU.

During that time update the AMD chipset drivers. Do it even if you were running latest before changing out the CPU. That's because it often loads up different drivers or settings based on the CPU it sees during install.

When you enable XMP for 3200 speed manually setting the DDR4 memory to the DIMM's specified voltage (look on their package, usually 1.3-1.35V or so) is often necessary to get it to start up. Hopefully you can do that on your A320 board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unolocogringo
Solution