Thinking of buying a certain 1070... Will my current power supply be enough?

Furjoe

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
Hi all!

I've been thinking of purchasing a certain type of GTX 1070. This particular model from EVGA: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6276-KR

It has two PCI-E 8 pin connections and it has a maximum power draw of 215W. The problem is that my current PSU is non-modular, and it only has 1 PCI-E 6 pin connector. This means that I will have to resort to using converters to supply the card with enough juice. I know this is generally not recommended and people have blown up their psu's by doing this... but according to my calculations, I should be more than fine. I just wanted to run it by you guys to see if I missed anything, so please point it out if I said or did anything wrong.

Now my current power supply, an OCZ StealthXStream 500W is old but it is still quite good (80+ rating, not cheap). Judging from this extensive review here (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-stealthxstream-500-w-power-supply-review/), it is able to effectively supply 98.8% of the advertised 500W without any problems.

More importantly, it has a dual +12V rails (12V1 and 12V2) that are both able to supply 17A under full load. If my calculations are correct, it should easily be able to supply 17*12 = 204W of power on each of those rails (probably even up to 18A). My idea was to merge the connectors from 1 rails to form an 8pin PCI-E, and then the connectors from the other rail to form another 8pin PCI-E, resulting in 2x 8pin PCI-E.

So to summarize, I'll use:
6-pin PCI-E -> 8-pin PCI-E on the 12V1 rails
2 molex -> 8-pin PCI-E on the other 12V2 rails

As for the rest of my setup:
- i5 6500 with TDP at 65W
- Gigabyte D3H-B150M (? W)
- 8 gigs of DDR4 (? W)
- 1 SSD
- 1 5400 sata hdd
- a few fans from my case

Also, I am not planning on overclocking, so my CPU will draw around 65, and my GPU will generally draw around 150W of power under full load (TDP of GTX 1070 chip).

With a maximum of 485W on those dual 12V rails and a calculated 215W maximum power draw under load from GPU+CPU, I should be well within the safe range.

So why is it that people discourage the use of these converters so much? Isn't this setup perfectly fine? Perhaps there is a better solution? Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere and let me know what you guys think.

Solution
It should work fine. Converters are frowned upon becuase people to use really crappie power supply with very power hungry and think converter will fix the issue. Your power draw will never exceed 400w so your in the clear.