Question Thinking of buying a Ryzen 5 2600, and I have a few questions

rockbiter68

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Vega 56 (set to arrive this Friday), and I'm trying to slowly upgrade my PC. I've done some poking around, and the Ryzen 5 2600 seems to be a good CPU to pair with this card. I do see that it's clocked at 3.6 Ghz, though, and I currently have an AMD FX-8350 4.0 Ghz. I know the Ryzen is considered better/faster (and I also know I'll need a motherboard upgrade in order to use the Ryzen), but I'm wondering what makes the Ryzen better; the FX has more cores, and a higher clock speed. I'm just curious.

Also, I've located a Ryzen for sale on this site: https://breakingxstore.com/product/...-cooler-yd2600bbafbox-2/?wcct_clear_cache=yes

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience buying from here. It's a great deal, but I've also never heard of this store, and I'm hesitant.

InvalidError

Titan
As Rob already mentioned, Ryzen is a far superior architecture, about 50% faster clock-for-clock. The FX8350 may have more cores but Ryzen has multi-threading which increases its raw throughput by another 30-40% on top of 50% already mentioned. You'd need to push your FX-8350 to about 5.5GHz to match the Ryzen 2600 at stock 3.6GHz.

This is similar (backwards) to how Intel needed a 2GHz Willamette P4 to beat its own 1.3GHz Tualatin P3 nearly 20 years ago.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
As Rob already mentioned, Ryzen is a far superior architecture, about 50% faster clock-for-clock. The FX8350 may have more cores but Ryzen has multi-threading which increases its raw throughput by another 30-40% on top of 50% already mentioned. You'd need to push your FX-8350 to about 5.5GHz to match the Ryzen 2600 at stock 3.6GHz.

This is similar (backwards) to how Intel needed a 2GHz Willamette P4 to beat its own 1.3GHz Tualatin P3 nearly 20 years ago.

Oh man, that brings back memories. I bought a 1.7Ghz P4 back then, that was a low point for intel, the Athlons were way better.

InvalidError

Titan
Oh man, that brings back memories. I bought a 1.7Ghz P4 back then, that was a low point for intel, the Athlons were way better.
I still have a working 3GHz Northwood P4/HT which I'm keeping around to run my scanner and other stuff that doesn't have drivers for anything beyond XP. Also have a couple of hardware-locked academic licenses tied to it which are handy to keep around for reviewing purposes.

Reactions: RobCrezz
Mar 12, 2019
The Breakingxstore.com website is a complete scam! DO NOT BY FROM THIS SITE! They will charge your card and never send you anything! You have been warned! Please do your research. This is a new site as of 2-2019.

rockbiter68

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
The Breakingxstore.com website is a complete scam! DO NOT BY FROM THIS SITE! They will charge your card and never send you anything! You have been warned! Please do your research. This is a new site as of 2-2019.
Thank you for letting me know this. You're right, I should have done more research on it, but I suppose I was hoping for a quick confirmation because it seemed like a great deal. I'll have to poke around for more credible places to buy a CPU from. Thank you.