Thinking of buying my first gaming laptop and adding RAM to it

Dec 10, 2021
Hi,

I recently found this gaming laptop on sale and it says 16 GB RAM that can be upgraded to 32 GB.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119730

Is it easy to upgrade RAM for my laptop? Will it destroy any warranty to open it up and install the RAM? Do I have to buy a certain type of RAM for this specific laptop? Not sure how it all works.

I'm also interested in any advice you can give me, as I've not owned a gaming laptop before or had to open one up. I'm thinking I'll buy a laptop cooler so if you have any suggestions on what kind to buy please lemme know! Thanks

Yes, you would need "a certain type" of RAM if you move from 16 to 32.

It has only 2 RAM slots, so moving to 32 would require you to remove all of the original 16 and replace with the new 32.

What would you do with the old 16?

What degree of performance changes are you expecting if you move from 16 to 32?

Reactions: vosnescis
Hi,

I recently found this gaming laptop on sale and it says 16 GB RAM that can be upgraded to 32 GB.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119730

Is it easy to upgrade RAM for my laptop? Will it destroy any warranty to open it up and install the RAM? Do I have to buy a certain type of RAM for this specific laptop? Not sure how it all works.

I'm also interested in any advice you can give me, as I've not owned a gaming laptop before or had to open one up. I'm thinking I'll buy a laptop cooler so if you have any suggestions on what kind to buy please lemme know! Thanks
Only update the ram if you find you are using all the ram in the machine now.

So do some testing first then decide.

Dec 10, 2021
Yes, you would need "a certain type" of RAM if you move from 16 to 32.

It has only 2 RAM slots, so moving to 32 would require you to remove all of the original 16 and replace with the new 32.

What would you do with the old 16?

What degree of performance changes are you expecting if you move from 16 to 32?
Ohh, I thought I would be adding an extra 16 next to the existing 16. Thanks, I didn't realize it worked that way. So any 32 GB RAM that I buy will be compatible to replace the existing one?

I'm not sure what I would do with the old 16, probably keep it in case I can possibly add it to a PC later or something.

I do a lot of video editing and the video editing program I like most is very demanding to the point of poor optimization, so I figure 32 GB is important

So any 32 GB RAM that I buy will be compatible to replace the existing one?

I'm not sure what I would do with the old 16, probably keep it in case I can possibly add it to a PC later or something.

I do a lot of video editing and the video editing program I like most is very demanding to the point of poor optimization, so I figure 32 GB is important

No, any 32 GB RAM that you buy will not necessarily be compatible with the existing RAM. You must buy the right type.

The old 16 isn't likely to work in "a PC". It may or may not work in another laptop.

You can easily determine how much RAM you are actually using when video editing. If you are using say 9 of 16, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have 32 when 7 of your existing 16 aren't being used. If you were using 15 of 16, maybe you can justify 32.

Some people are indifferent to the law of diminishing returns. Some people are largely indifferent to expense. Some people have RAM envy.

Dec 10, 2021
Only update the ram if you find you are using all the ram in the machine now.

So do some testing first then decide.
Thanks that's a good idea. I like to do video editing on a pretty demanding program so I figured 32 GB would be important, but perhaps I can try the 16 GB when it comes to first understand if it's completely necessary to upgrade.

Dec 10, 2021
No, any 32 GB RAM that you buy will not necessarily be compatible with the existing RAM. You must buy the right type.

The old 16 isn't likely to work in "a PC". It may or may not work in another laptop.

You can easily determine how much RAM you are actually using when video editing. If you are using say 9 of 16, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have 32 when 7 of your existing 16 aren't being used. If you were using 15 of 16, maybe you can justify 32.

Some people are indifferent to the law of diminishing returns. Some people are largely indifferent to expense. Some people have RAM envy.
I'll check out how much RAM gets used on this computer on my next edit, thanks. It was my previous PC with 16 GB that kept blue screening whenever I'd edit videos, but then that could have been issues unrelated to the RAM. I'll see if video editing is good on the laptop before deciding to upgrade it. Thanks for the help!

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
You could always increase the pagefile if you are only slightly using too much ram. But if you work long hours on the pc yeah its best to fully get rid of the issue. Low memory wouldnt cause blue screen though, it would crash the edit software and popup a warning, but shouldn't blue screen.

TRENDING THREADS