[SOLVED] Thinking of buying this gaming laptop

Solution
If money is of no issue to you, I'd rate it fair. Just know that every laptop is constrained by either power or thermals. Both the CPU and GPU. In the end, you would get more life and usability out of a desktop if at all possible. If an internal component on a laptop goes out, more likely than not, it's done. Unlike a desktop.

Here is roughly what the i7-10750H performs closely to in desktop terms. That's a CPU from 2016.

I personally have a Intel 9700K. Here it scores on average 96.9%. Since I have a desktop, I am not constrained by thermals or power. So Here I gave my 9700K a quick, fat and sloppy 5Ghz all core OC and my performance went up by 9.5%, almost topping the charts for 9700K benchmarks. If the...

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
If money is of no issue to you, I'd rate it fair. Just know that every laptop is constrained by either power or thermals. Both the CPU and GPU. In the end, you would get more life and usability out of a desktop if at all possible. If an internal component on a laptop goes out, more likely than not, it's done. Unlike a desktop.

Here is roughly what the i7-10750H performs closely to in desktop terms. That's a CPU from 2016.

I personally have a Intel 9700K. Here it scores on average 96.9%. Since I have a desktop, I am not constrained by thermals or power. So Here I gave my 9700K a quick, fat and sloppy 5Ghz all core OC and my performance went up by 9.5%, almost topping the charts for 9700K benchmarks. If the above doesn't bother you, then the particular laptop you linked isn't a bad deal. But average.

Solution
Dec 10, 2021

I personally have a Intel 9700K. Here it scores on average 96.9%. Since I have a desktop, I am not constrained by thermals or power. So Here I gave my 9700K a quick, fat and sloppy 5Ghz all core OC and my performance went up by 9.5%, almost topping the charts for 9700K benchmarks. If the above doesn't bother you, then the particular laptop you linked isn't a bad deal. But average.
Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.

Someone told me that it has a NTSC 45% monitor which won't be good for video editing and artsy stuff, and advised that I spend a bit extra for this one instead https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119730 It says 16 GB RAM but can support higher, which will be nice for video editing.

I know that PC's are generally going to be better bang for your buck, and I've never owned a gaming laptop before. I've just been trying to transition to a more portable, minimalistic lifestyle for when I have to move around a lot soon. I'm hoping a cooling pad might help extend the lifetime of the laptop should I decide to make this compromise of specs.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.

Someone told me that it has a NTSC 45% monitor which won't be good for video editing and artsy stuff, and advised that I spend a bit extra for this one instead https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119730 It says 16 GB RAM but can support higher, which will be nice for video editing.

I know that PC's are generally going to be better bang for your buck, and I've never owned a gaming laptop before. I've just been trying to transition to a more portable, minimalistic lifestyle for when I have to move around a lot soon. I'm hoping a cooling pad might help extend the lifetime of the laptop should I decide to make this compromise of specs.
Sounds like a laptop is your most practical option in the coming future. Generally with gaming laptops, a simple RAM upgrade is a breeze, so no big deal there.

Reactions: vosnescis