[SOLVED] Thinking of modding my Corsair K95 Platinum

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hello there, just like the title suggests, I'm currently thinking of modding my K95 with Cherry MX Speed Silvers, particularly in ways where I can make it sound and feel better because I'm probably gonna use it until it eventually dies on me.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy used Super Lube Precision Oiler to get lube inside the switches without having to desolder the switches from the PCB. I plan to go this route because I don't have any soldering equipment. Is this safe to carry out - will it affect the longevity or functionality of the switches?

I also have a pack of o-rings coming soon which I plan to put on keyboard to try and reduce the sound from the keys bottoming out.

Solution
As long as you don't break the switches while doing this lubing them should not affect them as far as reliability goes. No idea what video you are talking about or what this guy did, so it's not really possible to comment on it. If you saw it work, it should work the same way for you. MX silvers are very light and should be smooth enough that you should not need to lube them. You will probably get better results with greasing the stabilizers and doing some mods to those.
As long as you don't break the switches while doing this lubing them should not affect them as far as reliability goes. No idea what video you are talking about or what this guy did, so it's not really possible to comment on it. If you saw it work, it should work the same way for you. MX silvers are very light and should be smooth enough that you should not need to lube them. You will probably get better results with greasing the stabilizers and doing some mods to those.

Solution

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020

It's true that the MX Silvers are very light, but I was hoping to make them just a bit more quieter and maybe have less of the bottom-out noise.

By the way, here is the video that shows the guy using Super Lube (liquid) that I was looking to buy and maybe use on my own keyboard in the future.