Question Thinking of OCING my i-5 4670k first time question.

Oct 25, 2022
Hey i just recently bought a 6650 xt upgrading from a gtx 750 and bought a 650W thermaltake BX1 psu bronze. I dont have money for a new cpu or mobo so im gonna stick with running on my i-5 4670k and asus z87k. Im thinking of OCING my cpu and ocing my 6650 xt. How safe am i, what risk do i run with my cpu and mobo being 9 years old and should my psu be good enough to handle both of these over clocks. I wanna over clock my cpu at the very least so i dont get bottle necked as bad. i just dont want to disable anything. I will practice safe overclocking of course and ive been doing my research heavily i just wonder if its risky seeing as how my CPU is very old and mobo. I'm also running liquid cpu cooling so it should be safe in terms of heat. I also wonder if my psu is even good enough i went for the extra wattage as the recommended wattage is 500w for the gpu i have, but it is more of a budget psu.

Ralston18

Titan
If you are not having or otherwise experiencing any performance issues then leave well enough alone.

In other words "If it ain't broke then don't fix it".

If there are problems then post the problems along with more explanation. There may solutions other than over-clocking.

Which may not gain any noticeable results and only add stress to the entire build.

You mentioned "bottle-necking": what is being bottle-necked and where?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Learn what system resources are being used, to what extent ( % ), and what is using any given resource.

There are other tools that can help as well such as Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Again, without some specific performance problem(s) just leave things as they are.

I think the OP just wants to do better, not fix a problem.

The 4670K can normally be overclocked to good effect.
But, temper expectations. Many who report big overclocks have well binned chips.
those with dog chips are silent.

OC just a bit at a time and keep control of the cpu voltage.

If a graphics card chip was capable of higher performance, it would have been used in a better performing and more expensive model. Probably not worth trying.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd avoid it. If you wanted to overclock, you needed to upgrade to a quality PSU. This is a cheaply made, group-regulated unit (under 600W of +12V power), and I would never overclock on a PSU I'm not comfortable with at stock. What was the old PSU? Maybe it's better than this one.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey i just recently bought a 6650 xt upgrading from a gtx 750 and bought a 650W thermaltake BX1 psu bronze. I dont have money for a new cpu or mobo so im gonna stick with running on my i-5 4670k and asus z87k. Im thinking of OCING my cpu and ocing my 6650 xt. How safe am i, what risk do i run with my cpu and mobo being 9 years old and should my psu be good enough to handle both of these over clocks. I wanna over clock my cpu at the very least so i dont get bottle necked as bad. i just dont want to disable anything. I will practice safe overclocking of course and ive been doing my research heavily i just wonder if its risky seeing as how my CPU is very old and mobo. I'm also running liquid cpu cooling so it should be safe in terms of heat. I also wonder if my psu is even good enough i went for the extra wattage as the recommended wattage is 500w for the gpu i have, but it is more of a budget psu.
I don't mind overclocking the processor a bit most of the time you can get some extra without really raising the voltage.
For the video card I never overclock them the very small bit of performance is just not worth it (most of the cards are already overclocked from the factory)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your CPU cooler and the chip what you can manage.

Look up Haswell overclocking guide or Z87/Z97 overclocking guide. There are a few good ones.

Even the worst chips should be able to do 4.2-4.3 Ghz with a reasonable voltage. Best chips could get to around 4.5Ghz at ~1.3 volts, (Almost all chips could do 4.5Ghz at 1.35 volts, but temperatures were rarely acceptable)

Oct 25, 2022
so ive looked into this a lot and done heavy research and the 6650 xt is bottle necked by the i5 4670k and the main game i will be playing is warzone and as it stands the 4670k preforms bad on warzone and usually stutters now when i install my 6650 xt this may change but i know if i over clock my cpu i will get quite a bit of a fps boost and it should fix those stutters i may completely wrong but ive watched yt videos of the i5 OCED at 4.5 ghz and the boost seems quite nice.

Oct 25, 2022
I'd avoid it. If you wanted to overclock, you needed to upgrade to a quality PSU. This is a cheaply made, group-regulated unit (under 600W of +12V power), and I would never overclock on a PSU I'm not comfortable with at stock. What was the old PSU? Maybe it's better than this one.
My old psu is way worse lmao its white certified and discotinued now also 9 years old. its an ocz technology 500w 80 white