Question Thinking of selling my 1070 and buy a 3060 to keep for a while...

Jan 23, 2023
Hello all, I just upgrade CPU to i5 12400F. I was thinking of keeping my 1070 for 1-2 years more, but now i am changing my mind, and thinking of selling it for 150-200 euro and buy a 3060 (12GB) that should give me 30-50% more FPS.

I found a good shop where 3060 range from 315 euro to 500 ( https://www.esseshop.it/?cid=244&keywords=3060&sort=price_vozr ). I was aiming at this model, for 350 euro, Zotac GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge NVIDIA 12 GB GDDR6

But there are many others. Would you go for it? Or for another model between 350 and 400 euro? I have 200 euro aside, and i do not want to struggle 2 more years with my 1070.

Thanks for any view/suggestion

Have you considered an amd card? If not you may have a look at this one.

https://www.esseshop.it/powercolor-...d-radeon-rx-6700-xt-12-gb-gddr6-p-205061.html

Appears to be in your price range and is closer to the rtx 3070 for performance so it should last longer for you.

it won’t do ray tracing as well as the 3060 but should give more fps. Also I don’t know what resolution you play at, but if you use a 1440p monitor this card should handle it better than the 3060 as well.

it does appear that the 6700xt wants a quality 650 watt power supply whereas the 3060 appears to want 600 watts.

Another option you could consider is the rx 6600. It’s not quite as fast but is close to the 3060. Same story about ray tracing. However the price is a good bit less than the 3060.

https://www.esseshop.it/powercolor-...deo-amd-radeon-rx-6600-gb-gddr6-p-205534.html

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns and savior99
Jan 23, 2023
Have you considered an amd card? If not you may have a look at this one.

https://www.esseshop.it/powercolor-...d-radeon-rx-6700-xt-12-gb-gddr6-p-205061.html

Appears to be in your price range and is closer to the rtx 3070 for performance so it should last longer for you.

it won’t do ray tracing as well as the 3060 but should give more fps. Also I don’t know what resolution you play at, but if you use a 1440p monitor this card should handle it better than the 3060 as well.

it does appear that the 6700xt wants a quality 650 watt power supply whereas the 3060 appears to want 600 watts.

Another option you could consider is the rx 6600. It’s not quite as fast but is close to the 3060. Same story about ray tracing. However the price is a good bit less than the 3060.

https://www.esseshop.it/powercolor-...deo-amd-radeon-rx-6600-gb-gddr6-p-205534.html
At the moment i play in Full HD, but in 1-2 years i will go for a 2K monitor and VGA. This would be only a temporary card until then, spending only 150-200 euro of difference.

6700XT appears a very good bang for the buck, but i would like to keep my XFX pro 750W 80+ Silver. And i see power spikes of up to 321Watt for that card, and my 1070 has maximum 193W. I wouldn't risk..

6600 too little improvement.

Maybe 6650 XT would be a good compromise, it goes almost twice as fast in Hogwarts Legacy https://www.techspot.com/review/2627-hogwarts-legacy-benchmark/#Medium_1080p-color

I think the PSU would keep up. Power consumptions look similar in tech power up, only some higher 20ms spike on the 6650 XT to 286W.

But considering my CPU maximum uses 50Watts, i think i should be safe.

What do you think?

WIth AMD i wouldn't have DLSS, which seems a bit better than FSR. But G sync monitors (when i will change it) cost more than free sync..

Last edited:
Keep in mind free sync monitors will usually work with gsync. In other words you can usually enable that feature on a free sync monitor and it will work.

The other point to consider is you are talking about dlss, but unless nvidia changes you won’t get dlss 3.0 on an rtx 3000 series card, so there is that to consider as well. It seems that so far fsr has been able to work with any gpu just about. It will be interesting when fsr 3 comes out. You might very well find yourself using fsr on that nvidia card.

Anyway, the 3060 should be an ok card but if you up the resolution as time goes on it may struggle a bit. You might also see what the 3060ti is going for.

Anyway just definitely check on things to see what you like. My personal annoyances with nvidia are price and the fact that on newer cards (4070 ti for example), that they don’t give enough vram for the money you pay, and the fact that it feels as though they are holding features like dlss 3 back from older cards just to sell newer ones to try to force people to upgrade to them. Just my personal gripes with them. My next card will likely be amd or Intel unless nvidia changes or I get to good of a deal to pass on.

Jan 23, 2023
Thanks all for the comments. Yes, the idea was to go for 12 GB version of the 3060, but now i am more convinced to go with 6650XT. I found it for only 314 euro, while the 3060 is closer to 350 euro. They should have approximately the same performance. That's what it looks like here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00SbVkpIb_Y

But with Nvidia as upscaling i could use everything: DLSS, FSR, NIS and Intel XeSS. With AMD only FSR and Intel XeSS, right?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023
Yes, i can use Intel XeSS in Hogwarts Legacy with my 1070, even if i stick with NIS, it gives better FPS than FSR as well.

Ok I need to think it better. With 3060 12GB, i could even use RT more efficiently, even if i do not think i would want all those FPS loss..

I will see once i sell my 1070, what offers i find for both

Jan 23, 2023
Thanks, i had found that review but i am not sure it's the same card. On the shop it just says "Hellhound", while this review is for "Hellound white", with different colors as well. Not sure they are the same card. Anyway on Amazon it has good reviews, even if only around 60..

The cards of the same series will roughly have equal performance. In other words each 6650 or each 3060 will be about the same speeds. Some will differentiate in whether they are factory overclocked, some have better coolers which might make them run differently with less fan noise but in the end each 6650 or 3060 will perform similarly to other like cards plus or minus a few fps, aesthetics etc.

But look at the shop and see which one has the best warranty, best cooler warranty and price etc.

Reactions: savior99
Jan 23, 2023
The cards of the same series will roughly have equal performance. In other words each 6650 or each 3060 will be about the same speeds. Some will differentiate in whether they are factory overclocked, some have better coolers which might make them run differently with less fan noise but in the end each 6650 or 3060 will perform similarly to other like cards plus or minus a few fps, aesthetics etc.

But look at the shop and see which one has the best warranty, best cooler warranty and price etc.
Sure man, that's why i always try to find the exact model review. Sometimes just using a different fan gives more noise and makes the card not so good. Or the OC makes it much better or not...anyway yes, considering it will not be a longe time videocard, i can go with any decent one and this one seems it, basically :)