[SOLVED] thinking of updating the coolers

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, first of all, have two pc.. and have never checked their temperatures. The older pc is more than 5 years old, and the newer one only a few months old.

I heard somewhere that changing thermal paste is good to improve performance. Then I had another the idea, of why not update / change the coolers to better ones as well, since the pc's just came to me with their stock coolers.

is this a good idea?

the older pc is a core duo e8400, while the newer one that I use for Genshin Impact is an i5-2500k.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GPUs from around the Core2 Duo and Sandy Bridge era regularly operated in the 90s. Only recently that GPUs have been self throttling to stay in the low 80s. The age of noisy blower coolers as standard from both Nvidia and ATI/AMD.

Investing in a new cooler for the Core 2 Duo is probably not worth it. If you haven't overclocked the i5-2500k, getting a decent cooler for it would be somewhat worthwhile. Though at this point, you should start saving for replacements.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Eximo

the reason for wanting better coolers, is because I need both pc's to stay alive for a little longer. The core duo pc is not for gaming, it's a pc for backup data. The most "graphically demanding" game I play is Genshin Impact, and the combination of i5, Sandisk SSD, and GT1030 handles it fine already.

Do have plans to someday buy a board that uses DDR4, but with money being hard to obtain this days... due to corona. Those plans are postponed for now.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
In general....around 75C or less on the CPU and 85C or less on the GPU at full load.

HWinfo won't run on my pc, it's asking for a certain windows update.

so I used HWmonitor.

there is only one 3d game in this pc, Otomedius G. The reason for it being still here is because it does not run on Windows 10, so I cannot play it on the other pc.

anyway, I played a bit.. and here are the temps.

do this look fine? :)

9670x3.jpg