Thinking of upgrading from LCD monitor to a LED TV

AkaneKat

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hello! So im considering upgrading my monitor to a TV recently, did a little digging around and found this guy on sale

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-22-1080p-60hz-led-hdtv-un22f5000afxzc-un22f5000afxzc/10243927.aspx?path=f7396e2f48288e4081e21dc56e9df7f3en02

Now I heard compared to monitors text and such doesnt look as good on a TV, but I heard if you fiddle around with the settings it can look pretty great! Would love your guys opinion on the matter!

Just as a side note I game a ton, mostly FFXIV ARR MMO, so readable text is pretty important, but im also worried about screen burn in, are monitors and TVs the same when it comes to screen burn in? or are they different? cause on my monitor I have now ive never had burn in and I play MMOs for hours on end! (and those have text and images in the same position for long amounts of time!)

Thanks for your time!

Modern LED/LCD/Plasma TVs are not easily susceptible to burning. This was a problem with the old tube monitors/TVs and early plasma TVs.

Computer monitors will always display the computer screen better than a TV (a TV is designed to display video signals by standard TV formats - where a monitor is designed to display computer inputs). You can play with them and often get an acceptable display - but there is also a reason that the 32" TV is $199 and a 32" monitor is $999....

AkaneKat

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

hm ok that does make sense, what would you recommend for a monitor then? im thinking of using it with my PS3 and PS4 as well if thats possible.

What is the size of the monitor you want, and what is your budget? Also - if you don't want to plug and unplug the PS3/PS4 to the monitor, you will need a switchbox so the PC and PS3/PS4 are plugged in at all times (they are relatively cheap - anywhere from $20 - $100 depending on the features you want). A switch box is not necessary - but it is nice to have one.

AkaneKat

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

budget right around $200, I can go a tad higher. 22in-24in I think would be ideal. ah a switchbox is a great idea! I dont really need super features for one of those just as long as it outputs the same quality at the system. any recommendations?

AkaneKat

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012