Thinking Of Upgrading Gpu For The First Time

Sep 3, 2018
Hello, first time writing. New to the pc parts world and I had a few questions. I noticed the rtx series was announced meaning the gtx series will drop in prices, right? So I kind of want to upgrade my 1050 ti into something newer. My only concern is if I went from a 1050 ti to a 1080 ti how would I know if my power supply is giving enough power for the new card? I know you can check the specs to see the required power for the new 1080 ti but how do I check to see if my current power supply can meet that number or not?

xeddiex

Respectable
Aug 27, 2017
From official spec sheet, its recommended to run with a 600W unit.
So most likely you will need a new PSU with 650W or up (just to play safe), and u will need pcie cables as 1080TIs require 6+8 or 8+8pin
To check the wattage, you can short the 24pin cable and test with a power meter, or just simply open up the pc and unmount the unit.
It should have some details on the bottom/upper side.

Please post your full system specs. Psu in detail (model,...). That way we can help you.

Here is a handy chart for psu requirements:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Current GTX1080/ti prices have dropped mainly because of fear that the new RTX cards will make them obsolete.

That, I think is unwarranted.
Graphics cards will still sell mainly on price/performance.
The exception being the GTX2080ti which will be in short supply and sold at premium prices to early adopters.

Every psu is required to have a UL label with specs.
The label will usually be on the side.
Of particular importance is the amps available on the +12v rails.
That is what modern processors and graphics cards use.

If the unit is a cheap unit, it will not deliver advertised power inside a case where it is hotter.
Hence the suggestion to get the make/model and not just what the label says.

Sep 3, 2018

Sep 3, 2018
Thank you for the help. I found that my old supply was around 400w. I have enough money to order a 850w power supply so I went ahead and did so. 850w isn’t needed but I guess that’s extra headroom especially for future upgrades I guess?