Question Thinking of upgrading my CPU! Need help

Hrsn

Commendable
Jun 15, 2019
Hello everyone, this is my current PC build:

CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-7500 CPU (Quad Core, 3.4GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache)
Cooler - Intel OEM Cooler
RAM - Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
GPU - 1 x NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card
Motherboard - 1 x ASUS PRIME B250M-A (Socket-1151, 4x DDR4, Micro-ATX)
Case - 1 x Corsair Carbide 100R Windowed (ATX)
PSU -
1 x Corsair VS Series™ VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® White

Ok, so basically I am currently having high CPU usage issues when playing some games such as Fortnite or when trying to stream causing some microstutters etc. I want to upgrade my CPU and I did some research and it seems that the best CPU I can get with my current motherboard is the I7-7700K. This seems good and I will probably get this CPU. Is this a good choice?
I feel my GPU is very good so I want a CPU to match the 1070's ability.

I also need a cooler for this processor as the current stock cooler I have I don't believe it will keep the new CPU cool enough. I was hoping some of you guys could recommend me some good coolers for this CPU, not too expensive but good enough to provide sufficient cooling for the CPU. Also, is there any coolers where I don't need thermal paste or do I need thermal paste to apply all coolers.

Thank you for the assistance!

EDIT: I found a cooler called Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU. Do you think this will be ok for use with the i7700k?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not surprised about the cpu, as a quad core handles streaming and MMO's very poorly, but the first thing to change is the psu. The price is great, but the quality is another story - the VS series is one of Corsair's underdog units. The cxm, and rmx are of better quality.
There's also EVGA G2 & G3, and I highly recommend just about anything from Seasonic.
Then get the 7700k. As for a cpu cooler: Noctua NH-U12S, Cooler Master MA620...
*** Was about to recommend some Cryorig, but wow, those have jumped up in price! The H7 used to be around $40!
- ALWAYS use paste, unless you want to kill a cpu. A small dot in the middle will be enough.

Hrsn

Commendable
Jun 15, 2019
I'm not surprised about the cpu, as a quad core handles streaming and MMO's very poorly, but the first thing to change is the psu. The price is great, but the quality is another story - the VS series is one of Corsair's underdog units. The cxm, and rmx are of better quality.
There's also EVGA G2 & G3, and I highly recommend just about anything from Seasonic.
Then get the 7700k. As for a cpu cooler: Noctua NH-U12S, Cooler Master MA620...
*** Was about to recommend some Cryorig, but wow, those have jumped up in price! The H7 used to be around $40!
- ALWAYS use paste, unless you want to kill a cpu. A small dot in the middle will be enough.
Thank you for your response! If I keep this PSU, it wouldn't damage the CPU would it? If it doesn't I might just keep it until it dies and then replace it. Also do you think the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU would work well with the i7 7700k

The high CPU usage in modern titles is normal for a 4 thread CPU and a GTX 1070. You would definitely benefit from a CPU upgrade in modern games.

The Corsair VS line is low end and may fail under the stress of a 7700k and 1070. I would recommend an upgrade to a Seasonic Focus Gold 550 or a Corsair CX550 if you want something cheaper. If the PSU dies it could kill your video card, motherboard, and more. It could end up costing hundreds to fix and hours to troubleshoot. It's a bad Idea to "keep it until it dies."

If you want to upgrade to a 7700k, you would need a CPU cooler upgrade. The Hyper 212 and a 7700k, even at stock, may be toasty. I would recommend a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 at minimum.The Gammaxx 400 Blue LEDis only $19 from Amazon right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3...7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-blue This comes with thermal paste.
With a good cooler, the upgrade to the 7700k should be pretty painless.

Last edited:

Hrsn

Commendable
Jun 15, 2019
The high CPU usage in modern titles is normal for a 4 thread CPU and a GTX 1070. You would definitely benefit from a CPU upgrade in modern games.

The Corsair VS line is low end and may fail under the stress of a 7700k and 1070. I would recommend an upgrade to a Seasonic Focus Gold 550 or a Corsair CX550 if you want something cheaper. If the PSU dies it could kill your video card, motherboard, and more. It could end up costing hundreds to fix and hours to troubleshoot. It's a bad Idea to "keep it until it dies."

If you want to upgrade to a 7700k, you would need a CPU cooler upgrade. The Hyper 212 and a 7700k, even at stock, may be toasty. I would recommend a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 at minimum.The Gammaxx 400 Blue LEDis only $19 from Amazon right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3...7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-blue This comes with thermal paste.
With a good cooler, the upgrade to the 7700k should be pretty painless.
Thank you for your response. Since I am from the UK amazon says the gammaxx is unavailable where I live, is there any other suitable coolers that would be good? I don't mind spending 20-30 or a bit more. Also, is the Seasonic Focus Gold 550 the same size as my current PSU? If so, I imagine it would be very easy to just take the old PSU out and slot in the new one. Sorry for being a bit slow, im new with building computers. Is there a lot of cables involved with changing the PSU around?

Hrsn

Commendable
Jun 15, 2019
Thank you for your response. Since I am from the UK amazon says the gammaxx is unavailable where I live, is there any other suitable coolers that would be good? I don't mind spending 20-30 or a bit more. Also, is the Seasonic Focus Gold 550 the same size as my current PSU? If so, I imagine it would be very easy to just take the old PSU out and slot in the new one. Sorry for being a bit slow, im new with building computers. Is there a lot of cables involved with changing the PSU around?
Also, another thing is that when my PC was built, the people who built it zip tied all the power supply wires and the wires are all travelling around the back of the case so I would have to take everything apart and that's pretty daunting for someone who has no experience doing this sort of stuff.

Hrsn

Commendable
Jun 15, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Hello everyone, this is my current PC build:

CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-7500 CPU (Quad Core, 3.4GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache)
Cooler - Intel OEM Cooler
RAM - Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
GPU - 1 x NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card
Motherboard - 1 x ASUS PRIME B250M-A (Socket-1151, 4x DDR4, Micro-ATX)
Case - 1 x Corsair Carbide 100R Windowed (ATX)
PSU -
1 x Corsair VS Series™ VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® White

Ok, so basically I am currently having high CPU usage issues when playing some games such as Fortnite or when trying to stream causing some microstutters etc. I want to upgrade my CPU and I did some research and it seems that the best CPU I can get with my current motherboard is the I7-7700K.

The cpu cooler I am currently thinking of getting with this CPU is the cryorig-7. Will this cpu cooler be good enough for the I7-7700K and will it fit in my case?

If everything seems good then I will probably order everything on amazon today.

Thanks in advance.