[SOLVED] Thinking of upgrading my Motherboard

Sep 17, 2019
Hey guys so I was thinking of upgrading my computer. I was debating on getting a new cpu and with more ram. But I was debating if I really need a new motherboard for the newer Cpus. Im currently running a i7-8700k from intel, and only 16 gb of ram. My current motherboard is a Z370E gaming from Asus Rog Strix. GPU is a 1080Ti which I will not be changing. I have noticed with my setup, I will still get some stutters and small FPS problems here and then. Was wondering if maybe I should upgrade my motherboard and get a new cpu thats i9? Not very familiar with the new cpu cores and such.

Solution
I absolutely agree with cdrkf as the 8700K is one hell of a good gaming CPU and coupled to the 1080Ti you should be okay. I would just do a couple of checks first to see if the CPU is running good by doing a Prime95 version 26.6/Aida64 run and check temps to make sure you are not being held back. Check to make sure all the main drivers are up to date and also have a look at task manger to see if anything is using to much of the CPU. A recent Windows update did cause some issues:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Finally, what game is causing the issues?
Hey guys so I was thinking of upgrading my computer. I was debating on getting a new cpu and with more ram. But I was debating if I really need a new motherboard for the newer Cpus. Im currently running a i7-8700k from intel, and only 16 gb of ram. My current motherboard is a Z370E gaming from Asus Rog Strix. GPU is a 1080Ti which I will not be changing. I have noticed with my setup, I will still get some stutters and small FPS problems here and then. Was wondering if maybe I should upgrade my motherboard and get a new cpu thats i9? Not very familiar with the new cpu cores and such.

I don't think there is much point in upgrading from an 8700k for gaming at the moment. In terms of cores, the newer model Intel parts are built on the same core design as your 8700k. The only difference is the core counts, and honestly going from 6 core / 12 threads to 8 cores / 16 threads is going to make virtually no difference in games.

The other change is the 9000 series cpu's are higher clocked at stock, though as you have an 8700k you can easily overclock it.

A machine like that should be able to run anything you throw at it smoothly imo- in what situations are you getting stutter? Is this a new problem or has it always been like that? It sounds like there could be an issue somewhere.

Reactions: vMax
Sep 17, 2019
It could also be that I am using a 2560x1440 resolution, but the problem of where it freezes for a second or so happens mainly on one game. I dont really know if it is a optimization thing on their end or a issue on my end.

I absolutely agree with cdrkf as the 8700K is one hell of a good gaming CPU and coupled to the 1080Ti you should be okay. I would just do a couple of checks first to see if the CPU is running good by doing a Prime95 version 26.6/Aida64 run and check temps to make sure you are not being held back. Check to make sure all the main drivers are up to date and also have a look at task manger to see if anything is using to much of the CPU. A recent Windows update did cause some issues:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Finally, what game is causing the issues?

Solution
Sep 17, 2019
I get stutters here and then in a game called Escape from Tarkov. Also by updating main drivers do you mean like my GPU and such? Never really done a update to my drivers unless I have done it without knowing it. Cause I know for the 1080ti theres GEFORCE which updates drivers. Never seen a cpu one though.

I get stutters here and then in a game called Escape from Tarkov. Also by updating main drivers do you mean like my GPU and such? Never really done a update to my drivers unless I have done it without knowing it. Cause I know for the 1080ti theres GEFORCE which updates drivers. Never seen a cpu one though.

There are lots of drivers on your machine (e.g. for sound, the motherboard and so on). If they are out of date it can cause performance issues (especially in games).

I find the easiest way to check all the drivers is using a free tool called 'Driver booster':
https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Just install the free version and run that- it will tell you everything that needs updating, download the drivers and install them for you. I've seen a few people on here worry about the security of the tool but I've used it for years without any problems (the only 'catch' with the free version is it comes up with an advert to buy the full version when you start your machine but you can easily uninstall it once you've run it).

Sep 17, 2019
Can agree, using driver booster messed up my pc in terms of speed and my keyboard/mouse were having technical issues afterwards. Had to do a restore cause it was so bad. Keyboard was becoming unresponsive despite unplugging and trying again, same for mouse.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019
I doubt that. Ive never had issues and I dont see how having random stuff just get downloaded and then screw up everything makes it a faulty motherboard. My computer has been perfectly fine after removing and reversing to before I had the driver boost do whatever it was. Heading to my manufacture websites and downloading the updates has been good so far and no technical problems. Will see if it stays that way