Thinking of upgrading my old system for both rendering and gaming, is there anything worth changing with this choice?

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
I've had my PC since 2011 and the CPU has definitely become a bottleneck (I even got the achievement "Your GPU is ready to rumble, but your CPU doesn't want to play" in 3D Mark). I occasionally use some programs that use all cores, but also play a lot of games, so both single and multiple core usage is kinda important (hence why I settled on the 8700k - the 7700k is 50% slower at multi core and AMD appears to be a lot slower for single core). I'm currently working at a pub though so don't wanna be splashing out thousands.

I'm kinda lacking in hardware knowledge, so just wondering about opinions on my choice, and if any parts should be swapped for different ones? I'm not bothered about running multiple GPUs, but I do plan to OC the CPU.

Anyway, potential new parts I chose with good price/reviews:
CPU: i7 8700K (£320)
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming (same price as the "plus" version) (£130)
RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz (plan to go to 32gb later) (£125)

Current system:
CPU: i7 930 (running at 3.8ghz, 7 years old)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E (7 years old)
RAM: 24gb (3x8) Corsair XMS3
GPU: 980 Ti
PSU: Corsair TX650 (7 years old)

Solution
Check the rendering software documentation, for this use you might be better off with a 8 core Ryzen CPU if it can use all the cores available to reduce render times.
For gaming, Intel has a distinct advantage at 1080 rez with a high refresh display, once over this the difference between Intel and AMD Ryzen drops off with both getting very similar results at 2K and beyond.
Me, I chose a R7 1700 over the i7 7700K ( no Coffee Lake available at the time ) for the better rendering performance, trading off a small loss in gaming performance ( I game at 2K ) for better rendering times.
Check the rendering software documentation, for this use you might be better off with a 8 core Ryzen CPU if it can use all the cores available to reduce render times.
For gaming, Intel has a distinct advantage at 1080 rez with a high refresh display, once over this the difference between Intel and AMD Ryzen drops off with both getting very similar results at 2K and beyond.
Me, I chose a R7 1700 over the i7 7700K ( no Coffee Lake available at the time ) for the better rendering performance, trading off a small loss in gaming performance ( I game at 2K ) for better rendering times.

Solution