[SOLVED] Thinking of upgrading

Bbarber7

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
9
0
1,510
0
Currently I have a gigabyte 1070 paired with a i5 6600k and a z170-A montherboard . I just bought a new 1440p/ pg279qz monitor and am waiting it’s arrival. My question is, would it make a huge difference if I upgraded my cpu to the new i7 and left the 1070? Or would it be smart to upgrade to the 2070 and leave the i5. I can’t afford both at the same time. I’m just a tad worried that my current set up won’t preform/ keep up with the new resolution and 165hz refresh rate. Thank you!
 

Bbarber7

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
9
0
1,510
0
Sorry I took so long to reapond, thanks for your reply wildcard. Ive decided my current set up doesn’t make me happy and I looking to make the move to an i7 and new graphics card. Couple questions, with a new i7 9700k and a 2080 would my current power supply be able to handle these upgrades? I currently have a 660w Seasonic 80 plus platinum.
 

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
Sorry I took so long to reapond, thanks for your reply wildcard. Ive decided my current set up doesn’t make me happy and I looking to make the move to an i7 and new graphics card. Couple questions, with a new i7 9700k and a 2080 would my current power supply be able to handle these upgrades? I currently have a 660w Seasonic 80 plus platinum.
The PSU is good enough for those upgrades.
 

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
Would you recommend any different components than what I listed? Also what’s a solid motherboard option?
If it were me I'd hold off if possible for a few months and wait for Ryzen 3000 series, even if your a Intel fan as the higher end CPU's apparently are going to perform close to the 9900K.

If you want parts now for 9th gen I like the Asus Z390-F (or better model).
 

Bbarber7

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
9
0
1,510
0
Thanks for your advice. I really am an intel fan.. so thinking about amd kinda hurts.. but performance talks. Maybe I’ll wait a few months and see what comes out. My current setup isn’t unplayable but it’s just not the best at 1440p. Thanks again Wildcard!
 

Bbarber7

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
9
0
1,510
0
I think this is the route I’ll be going. By the sounds of it it seems like I picked a bad time wanting to upgrade. Hearing that there will be better components right around the corner, seems like only the smart thing for me to do is wait.
I'd wait for Ryzen 3000, and then upgrade the CPU. The GPU can most likely wait another upgrade cycle; my 1070 still feels pretty strong at both 1080/1440.
 
Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS