Thinking to upgrade my CPU

Samrees21

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I have an I5 3570K @ 4.2GHZ and my CPU load on high end games(Fallout 4, Witcher3) is almost always 100% and I get between 40-100fps. I don't think this is good enough experience for myself so I wanted some advice/information.

I've been researching the I7 6700K which is one of the best mid-end I7 CPUs available but there is hardly any gaming performance increase to my CPU from the benchmarks I have seen which makes me think that no CPU in my price range (up to £500) can run the high-end games that I want to.

Should I upgrade to the I7 6700k or should I wait for a new range of intel CPUs?

AppleGeek911

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
If you need a new processor now, then get it now. Intel just released Skylake, so there's no point in waiting. There will always be something better on the horizon.

The i7-6700K is a more than capable chip. Just know that you're going to need a new motherboard and DDR4 memory which will drive the price up.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
Why not go for the i5 6600K? It's more than capable of handling today's games, and costs about $100 less. You'll still need a new mobo and ram, but you could use the saved money for something else, like an SSD if you don't already have one.

lodders

Admirable
I have a 3570k and a 4690k, and their performance at the same clock speed is very similar.
Skylake is a little bit faster again

BUT, I don't think you are going to see a huge difference getting a newer i5

Apparently hyperthreading can cause microstuttering on Fallout 4, so an i7 may not really help you much either.

Any hardcore gamers able to offer some more advice?

Samrees21

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Thanks for your opinions, I have a separate budget for motherboard/RAM/Liquid Cooler but I think I'll just have to lower my settings a little for those CPU heavy games, all the benchmarks I've seen shows little improvement like lodders said. Probably will wait for the next gen :)

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

Well just don't forget to pull the trigger at some point. Every generation of CPU improves upon the last one ever so slightly. That's how they keep people buying their products year after year. The point though is if you wait too long, upgrading the CPU will mean more than just changing your motherboard and ram. Eventually, you'll want a new GPU, and a new PSU to support it. Maybe a new liquid cooler... Before long you will have built an entirely new computer. There's always something up ahead, so pick a spot when you're ready and go with it.