Question Thinkpad T430 Powers Off After 1 second

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
T430, Windows 10. Have had it since September.
About a week ago I'm using it and it shuts itself off, with the Windows shutdown screen. I try to power it back on, the power button lights up for 1 second and then goes out, nothing else happens.
I pull out the battery and try and run it on the cord, same thing. I pull out the cord and try and run it off the battery, same thing. I pull out the hard drive and the CD drive, same thing. I try a different power cord, same thing.

I take out a RAM stick, and now it powers on a little more: the screen comes on normally, Thinkpad, press enter for setup, etc. Then it turns off. If I hit enter as it does this, it makes a single beep and then turns off. I take out the other RAM stick and it's back to the screen not even turning on. I try each RAM stick individually in each slot: same behaviour: 1 RAM stick in either slot, screen comes on. No RAM, no screen, 2 RAM no screen.

I buy a new RAM stick. Try it in both slots. Same behaviour: screen comes on, looks normal for a second, then it turns off.

Additionally, when it turns off it sometimes makes a pop noise from near the power button, but it usually doesn't.

I've run out of ideas as to what the issue could be. If it was the battery, surely it would start with the battery out. If it was the RAM, surely replacing the RAM should have solved this. If it was the Hard Drive or the Disk Drive, surely removing them would have had some kind of effect. I haven't tried replacing the entire motherboard, obviously, nor do I want to, but if it was that then wouldn't the screen not come on at all, and why would only having 1 RAM stick make it work slightly better? Does anyone know what this could be?

EDIT: oh, additionally, sometimes when I plug in a power cord, either of the ones I have tried, it will attempt to power on by itself without me pressing the power button. Same behaviour, though.

Last edited: