Question Thinkpad T460 - how to solder an external power switch

Nov 18, 2022
Hi,

I am re-purposing an old Thinkpad T460 into a retro arcade cabinet.

I would like to wire an extension to the power switch so that I can switch on/off from a button mounted on the cabinet.

I have attached an image that shows the underside of the motherboard where the current power switch is located. Do you know how I could find out the required info about how/where I could solder to run to an external button?

https://ibb.co/1q5SjB2

I don't have much experience in this kind of thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Many thanks in advance

cp

Tom cruise432

BANNED
Sep 13, 2022
You can see a massive trace running across the top of the board, where it says H5, on the right side of the button's bottom. The other button point makes contact with that solder joint just at the top of the round.

Nov 18, 2022
You can see a massive trace running across the top of the board, where it says H5, on the right side of the button's bottom. The other button point makes contact with that solder joint just at the top of the round.

Hi - thanks for the reply. Sorry if I'm being daft, but I can't seem to see the H5 trace that you mention - can you see that in the photo that I shared?

Thanks

cp