[SOLVED] Thinkpad T60, Black screen and no POST when upgrading from T2600 to T7400 - Only boots after CMOS refresh.

May 27, 2021
Hello, as the title describes I'm having problems with an old T60 I bought on eBay. I planned to upgrade it for x64 capabilities as a hobby because I like the old IBMs and wanted something practical to use for school and general use. I thought it would've been simple to just swap out the t2600 CPU for a compatible T7400 as far as most of the information on the internet and youtube goes, but performing the upgrade leaves the computer screen blank with no boot signs. When I unplug and refresh the CMOS battery it works and POSTS but doesn't boot to OS (just BIOS), and after it restarts or I shutdown the system it stops posting until I refresh the CMOS again. I don't have too much knowledge on computers and can't really diagnose the problem, other than maybe needing a BIOS upgrade. Any help with this would be appreciated.

2007C5U ThinkPad T60

Current CPU: (Current) Intel Core Duo 2 T2600 2.167Ghz,

Desired CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2.16GHz

4GB RAM

Solution
Please note that some T60 don't support more than 3GB RAM (Intel 945 chipset limitation), even when you install 64-bit OS.

So when upgrading the CPU, it's recommended that you remove a the second RAM module, just leave 2GB RAM to avoid any issue. Once the CPU upgrade is done, you can put the other RAM module back.
Please note that some T60 don't support more than 3GB RAM (Intel 945 chipset limitation), even when you install 64-bit OS.

So when upgrading the CPU, it's recommended that you remove a the second RAM module, just leave 2GB RAM to avoid any issue. Once the CPU upgrade is done, you can put the other RAM module back.

Reactions: jacket07
Solution
May 27, 2021
Do you have the latest Bios?

If not, you can swap the old CPU back and update the Bios, then try again with the new CPU.

The T7400 is listed as compatible, so there is hope.

hello, thank you for the help. so i suspected it was because of the bios needing an update, but the problem is I dont know how to do that. Is there any guidance you can give for updating the bios on a Linux Mint T60?

hello, thank you for the help. so i suspected it was because of the bios needing an update, but the problem is I dont know how to do that. Is there any guidance you can give for updating the bios on a Linux Mint T60?

Please check your current Bios version fisrt, you can find it in the Bios or use a software like CPU-X (equivalent of CPU-Z for Windows).

May 27, 2021
Please check your current Bios version fisrt, you can find it in the Bios or use a software like CPU-X (equivalent of CPU-Z for Windows).

BIOS Version: 1.09a (79ET65WW)
Embedded Controller Version: 1.05b

TRENDING THREADS