Question ThinkPad wired keyboard with trackpoint Sk-8855

prd1962

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Unfortunately water spilled on my reliable ThinkPad wired keyboard (USB type "A") with trackpoint Sk-8855 which I have been using for 10+ years and now may of the keys don't work - even after drying out the keyboard for one week!

I understand that the keyboard uses keys from a T420 series laptop.

My question can I replace my dead keyboard with a T420 keyboard - the dead keyboard cable connects to the SK8855 circuit board, this circuit board also has a socket with 5 pins , which the USB cable connects to - will the replacement T420 keyboard work?

Is it worth repairing (they seem to sell for $200 when working) or should I consider replacing it with a new Lenovo Thinkpad wired and wireless keyboard with trackpoint and poor usb type "c" connection?

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, how did you dry said keyboard? Perhaps tear down the keyboard from the chassis, flip it upside down so the pores are facing up towards the sky and leave it to dry...? I'd advise on replacing with something more concurrent. In your spare time you can see if the keyboard is worth repairing and then have it saved for nostalgia's sake. You might as well get a mechanical keyboard and pair that with a mouse of your choice.

prd1962

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Yes I did tear down the keyboard and left it to bake in the sun for about one week!

Will a T420 keyboard fit and work in the SK-8855 assembly and usb cable connection!

Be a ThinkPad user for more than 20 years I am reluctant to switch brands - which newer ThinkPad USB keyboard is worth buying?