Question Thinkpad x230 touchpad software sticky and laggy

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Hi
My first steps after switching from x200 and 201 to this machine: 8gb i5, 64bit windows 7 ultimate.

The touchpad software causing 5 second lags.
I have tried the most recent x230 and the most recent of all available software, the latter has just appeared to fix the click and drag getting stuck but the lagginess makes x230 feel like some under resourced 2g ram Celeron laptop.

Can you please suggest the solution?

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Here is an update. I have tried installing different versions of synaptics software and driver, all dedicated to thinkpads: 15, 17, 18.
The last one is no longer supported for thinkpad x230, and it lacked some sophisticated functionality, but this is not a concern. It did appear to be working slightly better than 17, but the main issues are still there.
I ended up uninstalling both the driver and the software, which prompted windows 7 to install generic driver. The generic driver works best in that it does not get stuck, however, where it lacks is the sensitivity vs mouse speed. You can reduce the mouse speed to cause less skitty behaviour but this results in having to do two swipes to get diagonally from one corner to another.
I wonder why there are no replies; could it be that everyone just gave in and switched to mice?

I have an x230 and the touchpad has been a PITA from day one; primarily when it comes to touchpad finger/mouse scrolling. I adjust the mouse scroll to 3 lines at a time, but when I used the finger scroll on the touchpad, it would be 1 line, and the mouse scroll would revert to 1 line anytime I used the touchpad finger scroll. Finally that stopped, but the touchpad finger scroll remains at 1 line.

The driver I have installed Synaptics UltraNav driver 16.2.19.24.

Last edited:

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
How about drag locks? I have tried the version you mention, among others, and literally, each of them does have the same problem.

Scrolling did work well with all of them, but once I have let the generic driver be installed, the speed of mbutton scroll runs out of control, so say, it I start it slowly to read a post and after two seconds, it speeds up.

It is ridiculous how such an otherwise great machine can give such a bad user experience.
What puzzles me, though, is that there is very little response, which might mean others do not even know such problems might exist.

I usually use a mouse so the scroll issues are just a minor issue for me (I don't use the drag lock feature), but I agree it's too bad such a nice laptop has this one issue. BTW, if you want to use Malwarebytes, you need to disable Lenovo's Rabidboot as the two conflict.

Last edited:

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
OK, thank you. You use mouse, so this case is of less relevance. I am looking into the possibilities of making use of the touchpad.

Others,
has anyone managed to get the touchpad to work without sticky left button?
I would appreciate the details of the solution that worked, which would be the version of Synaptics software - and if you have found the version to make a difference at all.

Based on my research, it might be that the touchpad quality of these series is simply inadequate. I would like to be proven wrong, so if anyone is using touchpad without glitches, please share you experience.

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
To quite a big surprise, I have asked for laptop replacement, and the touchpad works just right both in windows 10 and in 7. The driver and version of Synapsis software was installed by the lenovo update tool.

This concludes the investigation, answer being that the issues are strictly technical.
Thanks everyone.