Question Third Computer Build - Mobo GPA status LED: on - No graphics card installed

nofearcavalier

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
I preface this by saying I'm not computer savvy, but in the past I managed to cobble together two adequate builds just by plugging components in and praying. Hopefully, someone in Tom's Hardware-land can help me figure out what's happening and how to fix my build.

I assembled these components for my new computer: a new mobo (Gigabyte z390), cpu (i5 9600k LGA1151) , and ram (2 patriot Viper Steel DDR4 (2x8gb)) with my old graphics card (a sapphire Radeon r9 270 2gb gddr5). I installed from my old computer 4 internal HD of various sizes and brands, and 1TB SSD, and 2 DVD/CD ROMs. This, all powered by a 750W PS.

Originally, when I assembled the parts and turned her on, I was able to enter BIOS, followed by Windows 10, but it wouldn't see my graphics card. No MB error beeps, no sustained status lights on MB. All the fans were running; all normal lights lit.

After several attempts at locating the card in BIOS and also from the Windows Control Panel, I decided to switch to a different PCIe port: no dice. I could still can enter BIOS and boot to windows, however.

Next, I used an old graphics card that I knew worked. Same problem as with my newer one: it couldn't be detected. So I removed this one.

I reinserted my original graphics card and realized that I didn't plug in the two 6pin PCIe connectors. This is when the more fatal problems started. I couldn't boot to BIOS and received 5 error code beeps. I was still able to enter BIOS, however. So, I looked up what THAT meant, and decided to remove the two 6-pin PCIe connectors from the graphic card (assuming that THAT caused the issue). I could now boot to BIOS, but MOBO still doesn't detect card. So I read online that I should try deactivating the MOBO installed graphics, which I did, and for some reason after that (and I can't see why it would be related), the beeps returned (5) and now the MOBO won't enter bios.

So I removed all of the peripherals -- the graphics card, hard drives, everything -- and turned the power on, which resulted in 5 beeps and a GPA status light on (even though no graphics card is installed). I can't achieve BIOS.

Is this happening as a result of turning off integrated graphics? If so (or even if not) can someone give me some useful advice as to how to troubleshoot this problem and/or what has potentially happened?

Last edited:

nofearcavalier

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
Google and a cell phone corrected most of my issues: connecting the CMOS pins reset the board and allowed me to use the integrated GPU. Removing all my additional HDs allowed me to connect my PCIe GPU (with the two 6 pin connectors) and power my monitor. Connected HDs one at a time, and I was surprised to find that I could only add one DVD/CD ROM, one 2TB HD, and my SSD stick before I encountered the same issues. I guess the SSD stick, and/or the new MOBO itself, requies A LOT more wattage than I thought (I had 2 DVD ROMs and 4HDs hooked up previously with the same graphics card (no SSD)).