Third Display Wont Work on R9 290 after clean 8.1 upgrade

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
So today I upgraded to windows 8.1 from windows 7 due to an infected computer. After installing it and loading a few basic programs on I decided to re-setup my triple monitor configuration in the CCC. However my third monitor wont show up. I've switched the dvi connectors etc around to see if it was the monitor however it seems it's the second dvi port.
The setup was fine up until I upgraded, I also can seem to see the third display in the windows configuration tool either, it doesnt even show up as plugged in. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

Cheers

Edit: Tried rolling back the driver version to 14.09 but is has not changed anything.

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
OK so I have also tried switching the monitors ie plug the non working display into the working displays cable and vice versa the cables on the gpu side remained untouched. The monitor which is now connected to the cable from the display which ws not working, is now not working. So it seems it might be something to do with that DVI port. BUT when I boot into windows it boot on the left monitor and the right monitor (the one which is not working normally) and the centre monitor receives no input, then when it gets to the login screen, the centre and right monitor switch roles and the centre screen receives the input but the right one doesn't. This is incredibly frustrating.

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

No it doesn't, it's not even detected in windows. Period. I cant even get it to show up, however when the pc boots it gets a single until the login screen. I've explained it in more detail above.
Thanks

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
1. Have you got the latest drivers? 2. did you connect all monitors and right click on desktop and click on the amd control panel and check if the monitor shows up there?

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Yes I have the latest stable driver (not the beta) all monitors are connected properly, I've checked about 16000 times lol. Yes as stated above, this all worked fine on windows 7, I could see the monitor, make eyefinity presets etc with it, but now not even windows, let alone the control centre can detect it

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Ok and you know all the monitors work.

Also I just remembered that: For the third monitor you have to have an ACTIVE adapter, i dont know what you use, but an example:

say that you have HDMI, DP, AND DVI.

the first two screens you can use DVI HDMI OR DP depends on how many connections the card have.

But for the 3'rd screen, you will need an active adapter, for example an DP to DVI/-orHDMI active adapter.

you cannot run eyefinity (three monitors) without an active adapter. It's just the way it is.

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Ok yes they all work, as the system boots onto that screen and then "switches off it" so to speak. Secondly that info about the active adapters USED to betrue, with the r9 2xx series of cards it is no longer a requirement and you can run 2x dvi and HDMI without the need for a displayport connection. I ran my setup exactly like this since I got my triples and it has worked flawlessly up until I install windows 8.1.

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Thank you for your input, its great you want to help, and I apprecieate it, honestly. However I think you are missing the problem.

The display cannot be detected. I can set up eyefinity and work my way around the CCC however I don't have my third monitor detected, so I cant do all of that stuff even though I know how. I just cant get the monitor detected

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Ok well, to me this sounds like it could be an issues with your monitor? Maybe you changed a setting on the monitor...Or what happens when you hold down the "windows key" and press "p" to change the state of the monitor setup?

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Also if the windows 8.1 install was a direct upgrade from Windows 7, you will probably want to delete the GPU drivers and re install them again. As if it was the upgrade process, this can sometimes mess up the display drivers by not copying them into the new windows 8.1 OS.

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

It's not the monitor because when I plug it into a different port on my graphics card it works, just the second DVI port seems to not work, except on startup for some reason. Again I think you have misunderstood the problem, I cannot even detect the the display, so I cannot change desktop layout options etc because I cant even see the monitor, its like its not even connected (think of it like this).

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

It was a clean install ie format the drive, reinstall completely, so nothing was left.

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
To be honest I don't think its to do with AMD drivers, I believe its either the graphics card, or most likely windows as I cant even use the third monitor when the CCC isn't even installed, I also cant see the third monitor anywhere in windows, ie device manger the screen config utility etc so I believe its windows not being able to detect through that port or something

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
OK well what motherboard do you have? You might want to check that the primary graphics output is set North Bridge side, in case your CPU has on-board graphics.
I know the monitor is not being detected, I understand that. I am just trying to suggest things to do, so that we can define the problem more. It could be a whole load of things that might be the problem here.

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I would really try and install the CCC and drivers again, drivers can not always install correctly and they are very temperamental.

Quote from someone else on another forum:
"I got my 3-screen set up working by updating CCC to the latest 13.10!

Before with the 13.9 CCC it said in the information/software that I had a AMD 7000 series card. (They didn't yet support fully 3 screens)
Now after the update it says I have a R9 200 series, and got immediately my 3 screens working!
2x 21" 1920p ASUS screens with DVI-D to mini DP passive adapter
1x 32" 1360p LG TV with HDMI

Just wanted to share this with you, since haven't yet seen the same solution anywhere.

I have 2x Gigabyte Windforce OC R9 280X rev.2"

LikeItOrNot117

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Ok after much struggle, I decided to uninstall the card by right clicking and selecting uninstall in device manager and deleting all AMD/ATI files I could find on my computer. I did those steps after uninstalling CCC from the control panel. Then rebooting and reinstalling it, it still didn't work so i decided to repeat the process but install the beta driver this time. However I stuffed up and uninstalled it and deleted files before uninstalling CCC so there was like one folder left I could delete, so I thought "oh damn, oh well, I'll reinstall CCC and then uninstall it properly." But for some reason when I installed CCC again, it worked, so yeah. Thanks ever so much for your input though embers, it's greatly appreciated :)

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Ok well glad it is ok now :)