[SOLVED] Third party fan hub

Solution
The most important questions are:
How many such fans to connect?
What max power (current or watts) does each fan require?

The heart of this is that BOTH of those items are NOT fan HUBS. A Fan HUB gets all power from the PSU via a cable that must plug into a SATA or 4-pin Molex power output connector from the PSU. It gets from the host mobo header only the PWM control signal for 4-pin fans, and thus is not limited by the header's ability. But it ONLY works if you have 4-pin fans.

What you have shown in the Deepcool FH-04 I know to be a fan SPLITTER, and I believe the other one is also. This type of device can work with any fan and header type, BUT all power for its fans comes only from the host mobo header. Virtually all such headers...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The most important questions are:
How many such fans to connect?
What max power (current or watts) does each fan require?

The heart of this is that BOTH of those items are NOT fan HUBS. A Fan HUB gets all power from the PSU via a cable that must plug into a SATA or 4-pin Molex power output connector from the PSU. It gets from the host mobo header only the PWM control signal for 4-pin fans, and thus is not limited by the header's ability. But it ONLY works if you have 4-pin fans.

What you have shown in the Deepcool FH-04 I know to be a fan SPLITTER, and I believe the other one is also. This type of device can work with any fan and header type, BUT all power for its fans comes only from the host mobo header. Virtually all such headers can supply up to 1.0 A max current in total for all the fans connected to that one header. (That's 12 W if the fan label is done that way.) So you need to add up the max current (or watts) of all the fans you plug into that Splitter and ensure it does not exceed that limit. Most often there is no problem, because typical fans today pull at max 0.10 to 0.25 A each, and hence four fans is OK.

If the fans do not show Amps or Watts on the label, tell us the maker and exact model number on them so we can help you find the specs. If the fans were supplied with the case, tell us maker and model of the case.

As long as you can verify that the max current used is within that limit, I'd be inclined to buy the Deepcool unit - they are a well-known company, and you can rely on their products. Also note the difference in design. The Deepcool unit is enclosed with no exposed electrical contacts.

Reactions: strydez
Solution