Question Third party router

Arcticfox1977

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Hi I am currently with virgin. We get great signal through most of the house, however my sons room loses about 80mb speed and sometimes drop altogether. I've heard about putting the super hub 3.0 to modem mode and buying a separate router. Would this help and how would I do it. We have also tried plug in boosters which have helped slightly but not great.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it should. it has been my experience that combo units are not that great, they kinda suck at doing both. I already have a router setup with all my settings. getting a Modem only unit was not a fun experience from my ISP. I prefer networking devices to do one thing well.

in this review of the super hub they suggest downgrading to the super hub 2ac and using a dedicated modem router.
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/virgin-media-super-hub-3

edited for oopsie

Last edited:

Arcticfox1977

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
I've tried power line extenders which help slightly but not great. He gets maybe 15-25mb wifi signal from them. I've ordered virgins own wifi boosters and that was worst, dropped out of signal more than it was on. I've just read that changing the hub3 to modem mode and buying a separate router works a lot better.