News This $1,229 ThinkPad X1 Carbon is the Cyber Monday Laptop I'd Buy for Myself

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
I think the author should stick with his original review (where he gives this model a mediocre 3.5/5) rather than pander with this advertorial. The issue with mobile 12th-gen Intel is that they have high perf, but also high powered, ie high battery drain. While that is fine for "home/office" laptops normally tethered to AC, it would be terrible for an ultraportable for on-the-go use.

I'd stay away from this one. High performance means squat when your battery reads zero.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Or you could get a MacBook…

We just passed up on a new MacBook, because their proprietary chip can't natively run Windows.

Yes there's VMware and Parallels, but we need the machine to BOOT INTO Windows. Not fiddle around with an emulator.

If Boot Camp was still around that would've been a big plus in the MacBook's favor. As it's not, sorry.

Reactions: LordVile
Having used most of Lenovos line from their cheapest fleet level model costing a few hundreds to their most expensive costing over 5 grand I can say they’re disappointing at every price point. As far as the X1 carbon goes the MacBook Air is a superior machine in every metric. However as the OP has stated they have software demands that require an x86 based processor. Personally would have said to avoid Lenovo and get something like an XPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2020
The question is why wouldn't you pay a couple hundred dollars more and get the HP Elite Dragonfly G3? Even with the Dragonfly you can save a lot of money by choosing FreeDOS instead of Windows 11 Pro ($215) and using the methods through TH's often reposted "How to get Windows 11 cheap (or free)" article, in which case you are able to also have a clean installation of Windows 11 without any HP bloatware. According to the review it has a far better battery life, better screen, better overall rating, and it's on sale at HP for only $100 more than the Lenovo.

D

Deleted member 14196

Having used most of Lenovos line from their cheapest fleet level model costing a few hundreds to their most expensive costing over 5 grand I can say they’re disappointing at every price point. As far as the X1 carbon goes the MacBook Air is a superior machine in every metric. However as the OP has stated they have software demands that require an x86 based processor. Personally would have said to avoid Lenovo and get something like an XPS.
I would much rather have a Mac as well, and just use virtual machines at that price point

USAFRet

Titan
in which case you are able to also have a clean installation of Windows 11 without any HP bloatware.
You can do that with just a clean install.

Looking at the prices right now:
With Win 11 Pro - $1395
With FreeDOS - $1285

$109 difference. Which is significantly less than a Win 11 Pro license from MS.
(yes, I know it says $215. But it does not seem to be that)