News This 3600W Chinese Power Supply Is Basically a DIY Brown-Out

imin

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
It's not a typo. "80 PLUS Platitum" certification is equivalent to "Over 9000 Plus Platinum" certification.

Colif

Win 11 Master
nice to see miners don't care if the PSU isn't modular. Or use sleeved cabling. I expect all the stickers on sides are faked as well.

I would love to see someone actually test it, I have my doubts it can do what it says.

Guess it might kill their GPU faster than just the mining will.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
All I can say is....

E53D6ABBA59E124AF0183B17A240AAF9B1FC4E0C

Reactions: Krotow

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Other options to use this which are not coin mining related:

1. Provide power to a small community
  2. Charge your Tesla or other electric car
  3. ( I do like the welding idea...kudos on that one)
  4. Power the laser defense grid of your volcano lair
  5. Retrofit each of the electric chairs in the state of Texas
  6. Create your own Energon cubes to sell so the Decpticons will leave everyone alone
  7. I hear there's a DeLorean somewhere that needs a quick jump
  8. Power enough LEDs to create your own Dyson Sphere
  9. Build your own particle accelerator and smash atoms
  10. Play Crysis

Total scam. And illegal in every country INCLUDING China.

Probably can't do anything over 2000W, but I even doubt that.

It would start fires even if it were 100% efficient.

Note the C13 power inlet. That's rated at 10A. You would need to run this on 360V+ mains in order to not set the plug on fire at full load.

At 230V, you're only going to be able to pull 2300W from the wall without melting the insulation on the cable.

Jan 27, 2021
This isn't just a 90 Plus Platitum, it's a 150 Plus Platitum. It claims that the input power is 180-240V with a 10 amp draw. That's a max of 2400 watts of input power, and 3600 watts output. 150% power efficiency, that's pretty damn good!

Reactions: jonnyguru

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
This isn't just a 90 Plus Platitum, it's a 150 Plus Platitum. It claims that the input power is 180-240V with a 10 amp draw. That's a max of 2400 watts of input power, and 3600 watts output. 150% power efficiency, that's pretty damn good!

Three-phase AC at 220V can deliver about 3800W at 10A. My induction stove can draw that much power.

Three-phase AC at 220V can deliver about 3800W at 10A. My induction stove can draw that much power.

That is complete and utter B.S.

Wattage is still V * A. You don't magically increase your wattage by 50% by increasing the phases. Three phase is more efficient and can deliver more power, but you don't deliver more power when the load is still 10A.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
That is complete and utter B.S.

Wattage is still V * A. You don't magically increase your wattage by 50% by increasing the phases. Three phase is more efficient and can deliver more power, but you don't deliver more power when the load is still 10A.

When you add up the three 220V phases, you get around 400V.

InvalidError

Titan
Wattage is still V * A. You don't magically increase your wattage by 50% by increasing the phases.
What you are thinking about is a split 220V which is technically still single phase. If he really has Y220, then that is actually three times as many phases (200% more, not 50%) and phase-phase voltage is sqrt(3)*VL-N which is 380+V, That would be 3800W per phase pair at 10A. Same total power as a typical 14-50 electric range plug using a quarter as much copper for wiring, one fifth if you omit neutral.

Reactions: Chung Leong
What you are thinking about is a split 220V which is technically still single phase. If he really has Y220, then that is actually three times as many phases (200% more, not 50%) and phase-phase voltage is sqrt(3)*VL-N which is 380+V, That would be 3800W per phase pair at 10A. Same total power as a typical 14-50 electric range plug using a quarter as much copper for wiring, one fifth if you omit neutral.

Got it. Thanks.

But then there's this: Is someone that's buying a no-name Chinese PSU without a warranty going to have three phase power?

((230 X 1.7) = 391) * 10 = 3910W. Assume 92% efficiency at full load? If this PSU can really do that, I still wouldn't want to sell it. Maybe that's why there's no warranty. Sell off whatever you have and disappear off the face of the Earth!

15A C13 receptacles do exist.

Then they wouldn't be C13, right? It's an IEC standard. That's why high wattage server PSUs use C19. It's rated for 16A.

It's kind of funny, though.... So, in China and Australia, I can't legally pair up a C19 with a 10A Type I plug (the type of plug commonly found in China and Australia). But in China, I can walk into a store and buy an adapter that lets me plug a 16A Type I plug into a 10A wall socket! What the heck is up with that shenanigans?!?!

PEJUman

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Total scam. And illegal in every country INCLUDING China.

Probably can't do anything over 2000W, but I even doubt that.

It would start fires even if it were 100% efficient.

Note the C13 power inlet. That's rated at 10A. You would need to run this on 360V+ mains in order to not set the plug on fire at full load.

At 230V, you're only going to be able to pull 2300W from the wall without melting the insulation on the cable.
I think C13 can do 15A, which enables the 110V mains countries to have 1500W PSU (or should I say power converter ;)).

InvalidError

Titan
But then there's this: Is someone that's buying a no-name Chinese PSU without a warranty going to have three phase power?
Maybe, maybe not. But it is China, almost no occupational safety regulations whatsoever, so people and companies can do just about whatever they want even if it breaks norms and standards.

I think C13 can do 15A, which enables the 110V mains countries to have 1500W PSU (or should I say power converter ;)).
The official IEC listing for C13 is 10A. While properly made plugs and sockets should be able to handle more without issues besides eating into safety margins, anything over that is still non-compliant.