This a good PSU for GTX 1080 OC and i5-6500?

Solution
The eVGA B1 Bronze isn't the best of power supplies. Will it blow up your system or take your home with it? Probably not.

[H]ardOCP gave it a passing rating though.

Now, will it work for a 1080Ti and i5-6500? I believe it will, especially if you don't overclock the GPU. (i5-6500 itself isn't overclockable, so no worries there.)
It wouldn't be my first pick, and wouldn't even make the top 10, but it is better than some of the time-bombs out there.

VERY LOW quality, inferior parts, thin wiring, poor voltage regulation and so on.

But you can get it if you want to slowly cook that GTX 1080 and the rest of the system. And when it does go it will take something else with it.

Best NOT to cheap out on the PSU.

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

I already have the 600w Bronze and it's working fine, but I guess I'll buy a new one...

Are the PSUs you recommended me suitable for overclocking the GTX 1080?

Yes they are and a lot better quality than the one you have.

The eVGA B1 Bronze isn't the best of power supplies. Will it blow up your system or take your home with it? Probably not.

[H]ardOCP gave it a passing rating though.

Now, will it work for a 1080Ti and i5-6500? I believe it will, especially if you don't overclock the GPU. (i5-6500 itself isn't overclockable, so no worries there.)
It wouldn't be my first pick, and wouldn't even make the top 10, but it is better than some of the time-bombs out there.

Solution

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Thanks for this. Also which PSU should I get for overclocking the GPU?

Also I didn't say 1080ti I said 1080 ;)

Yeah OK.... Here is what they said.

As was the case with the EVGA 500B, the 600B is very much an inexpensive entry level product and that is exactly how it performed for us today save for the fact that it actually passed our testing. Indeed, the EVGA 600B featured mediocre to passable (for its niche) build quality, passing but not great voltage regulation, OK Transient Load Test results, and OK but not great DC Output Quality. These kinds of results aren't surprising, mind you, as this is an entry level product. However, these results are just not inspiring nor do they make one stand up and take notice of this unit.

So if you want to risk that GTX 1080 to that, it's up to you. And if the PSU takes out the GPU it's not covered by warranty.

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

I have 1 more question though! Which is a good power supply for Overclocking the GTX 1080

The ones I listed, the Focus Plus would be the best out of those or a Corsair RMX 550W.

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Alright thanks!

I covered that: Not the best. It passes their tests, but not with flying colors. It isn't impressive. It meets the minimum for entry level, and that is it: nothing more.

Okay... even better. the 1080 pulls even less than the 1080Ti.

Several models will fit nicely. The bigger question is what is your budget?

Corsair: AX, HX, TX, RM

eVGA SuperNOVA series: G2, T2, P2, primarily. G3, T3, P3 are probably good, providing they aren't as disappointing as the B3 series.

Seasonic: primarily the FOCUS series, and the Prime series and the older X series and G series.

FSP Group HydroG series, and the AURUM series

Without a budget, it's harder to narrow it down further.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#e=6,5,4&F=0&p=1,2&W=600,750&sort=-rating&m=52,11,14,101,95,71,441,39

The link covers those and more, but the brands I mention are the better choices when you stick to the listed series. (Seasonic brand is pretty much good overall though.)

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Alright, I'll either go with RM650x or the Seasonic 550W/650W.