This a. m. all was fine until I d/l a video program. My system has been hacked with constant ads, messages from Microsoft to c

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
This a. m. all was fine until I d/l a video program. My system has been hacked with constant ads, messages from Microsoft to call a number and i will get help. I did and it was made to someone in India. He knew my first name, so i suspect it was on the level...but he kept draging the information and i got suspicious, so i hung up. My Firefox browser has been taken over by Yahoo and Ask...and i can't get it back. This post is being written on my laptop, Win10. Each time i tried to do some surfing, ads would pop up, a voice would warn me to make a call and etc. I had d/l a video program that started all this and i never had the opportunity to uncheck the ASK bar toolbox and etc. It just happened. I tried the about:config area but its quite confusing. BTW, after going there i am constantly reminded with a popup asking if i want to go back to past browser or keep the new one. I tried both and nothing changes. IS there any hope?

Solution

Either rollback to an earlier Restore point, or wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch.

And don't download crap like that again.
Risky click wins again. You've likely invited multiple adware\malware programs onto your PC which have now hijacked your browser and very likely your internet connection on that PC. I suggest using your laptop to download CCleaner, MalwareBytes and AVG Free edition to get started. Transfer those to your PC using a USB drive. Start with CCleaner and MalwareBytes. Full scans & registry cleaners. You may also need more specialized software to completely remove it. Don't bother calling anyone claiming to fix this.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that...also, the previous responses most told me to download Malwarebytes,CCleaner and anti virus VGH....whew! I'm sure they meant well, but SR was a lot easier. Thanks again.