[SOLVED] This Capacitor was hanging on by a thread any idea what it runs?

Solution
That's not a capacitor...it's an inductor. Not sure what circuit it's in and I can't make out the numbers on the smaller PQFP IC it's been so scratched up. It's leads also look damaged, maybe some are shorted. That motherboard's pretty well mangled, there are a lot of chip components that have been knocked off, some damaged ones are still there. Probably by installing and removing GPU carelessly, either that or the GPU came out in shipment which often happens if it's not properly restrained.

There's even missing parts over by the Nuvoton chip and that's the SuperIO that provides SMBus functions and other things so that's quite likely the source of the problem why your PCIe cards are non-functional. It's going to take a bit of...
That's not a capacitor...it's an inductor. Not sure what circuit it's in and I can't make out the numbers on the smaller PQFP IC it's been so scratched up. It's leads also look damaged, maybe some are shorted. That motherboard's pretty well mangled, there are a lot of chip components that have been knocked off, some damaged ones are still there. Probably by installing and removing GPU carelessly, either that or the GPU came out in shipment which often happens if it's not properly restrained.

There's even missing parts over by the Nuvoton chip and that's the SuperIO that provides SMBus functions and other things so that's quite likely the source of the problem why your PCIe cards are non-functional. It's going to take a bit of troubleshooting and parts identifying and replacing to get it back to rights.

Take it to a shop and ask them what they think and how much to repair. I'm gonna guess a new board will be cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorsai
Solution
Aug 24, 2021
That's not a capacitor...it's an inductor. Not sure what circuit it's in and I can't make out the numbers on the large PQFP IC it's been so scratched up. It's leads also look damaged, maybe some are shorted. That motherboard's pretty well mangled, there are a lot of chip components that have been knocked off, some damaged ones are still there, probably by installing and removing GPU carelessly. It's going to take a bit of troubleshooting and parts identifying and replacing to get it back to rights.

Take it to a shop and ask them what they think and how much to repair. I'm gonna guess a new board will be cheaper.
I actually only removed my gpu out once dense I bought it as I didn’t know much about PCs when I got it the previous owner might have it’s ran great tho up until recently where are you Particularly seeing more chips knocked off I know you are more experienced and have a way better eye then me with stuff missing the chip to the left of the broken inductor numbers are s833nn26 bottom line reads wg1219v is that’s the part you were saying was scratched up it actually isn’t it’s the poor lighting with the camera

Aug 24, 2021
I actually only removed my gpu out once dense I bought it as I didn’t know much about PCs when I got it the previous owner might have it’s ran great tho up until recently where are you Particularly seeing more chips knocked off I know you are more experienced and have a way better eye then me with stuff missing the chip to the left of the broken inductor numbers are s833nn26 bottom line reads wg1219v is that’s the part you were saying was scratched up it actually isn’t it’s the poor lighting with the camera
Or where you talking about this one View: https://imgur.com/a/eiD9AAm

I actually only removed my gpu out once ...
It could have been when it was shipped or moved at some time in the past by the PO. If jarred firmly enough the GPU can pop up and out of the socket, sort of hingeing on the top screw with the bottom tabs just scratching/scraping around on the board. Those retaining clips on the socket are essentially worthless now that GPU's are so darn heavy with massive heatsinks. You should either remove the GPU to package separately or retain it with newspaper packing.

... bottom line reads wg1219v ...
That's the part I couldn't read :)

It makes sense: that's a part of the LAN circuit, and that's the type of inductor used with it along with the canned oscillator (clock source) right beside it. I'd imagine internet on the board isn't working? or might have terrible performance?

I'm pretty sure it's the missing parts all around the Nuvoton chip that's keeping your PCIe from functioning, or possibly some other damage not in those pictures.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021
Inte
That's the part I couldn't read :)

It makes sense: that's a part of the LAN circuit so that inductor is associated with it. I'd imagine internet on the board isn't working? or might have terrible performance?

I'm pretty sure it's the missing parts all around the Nuvoton chip that's keeping your PCIe from functioning, or possibly some other damage not in those pictures.
I haven’t tested it sense it completely came off but when it was just hanging by the top wire internet was working perfect no issues that I could tell but might it work now that it’s came off completely

Aug 24, 2021
It could have been when it was shipped or moved at some time in the past by the PO. If jarred firmly enough the GPU can pop up and out of the socket, sort of hingeing on the top screw with the bottom tabs just scratching/scraping around on the board. Those retaining clips on the socket are essentially worthless now that GPU's are so darn heavy with massive heatsinks. You should either remove the GPU to package separately or retain it with newspaper packing.
Yea I’m running the rx580 in it that clip was broke when I got it but I do have a have pop that fits perfectly under my gpu to keep it at perfect height that I use to keep it from sagging lol the motherboard was getting replaced soon anyways but I think I have issues with the gpu as well and sense motherboard will be cheaper I’ll go ahead and replace that first