[SOLVED] This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk

Feb 10, 2019
My friend got a server mobo in his PC.
He got only 1 SSD plugged in. (120GB)
When he tries to install windows 10 he get this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computer’s BIOS menu."
In the "Where do you want to install Windows?" part, he got 3 primary disks.
rFJPbYo.jpg

In DISKPART it seems like 3 SSD not one.
UxpRbrw.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.

Solution
Something tells me this is an add in card with multiple M.2 drives on it attached to CPU with lanes bifurcated where 2 drives are being recognized as one larger drive I.E. a total of 4 drives in the add in card but only 3 actually usable as the first 2 drive slots can not be bifurcated on Z390 chipsets. They can only do 8x4x4, not 4x4x4x4. Windows can actually be installed on one of those drive then booted to windows & install IRST software & form RAID drive if this is a Z390 chipset motherboard which is what I have. 4 drives would yield just a hair over 100GB usable space. 3 in my case yielded 82GB usable space.

In the BIOS you will have to disable CSM so it can only boot to UEFI devices if installing onto PCI-E NVME devices. Other...

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Something tells me this is an add in card with multiple M.2 drives on it attached to CPU with lanes bifurcated where 2 drives are being recognized as one larger drive I.E. a total of 4 drives in the add in card but only 3 actually usable as the first 2 drive slots can not be bifurcated on Z390 chipsets. They can only do 8x4x4, not 4x4x4x4. Windows can actually be installed on one of those drive then booted to windows & install IRST software & form RAID drive if this is a Z390 chipset motherboard which is what I have. 4 drives would yield just a hair over 100GB usable space. 3 in my case yielded 82GB usable space.

In the BIOS you will have to disable CSM so it can only boot to UEFI devices if installing onto PCI-E NVME devices. Other instructions fore setting this up found on my thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-testing-of-optane-memory-32-gb-in-raid-0.3424282/.
I have 3- 32GB Optane Memory modules I RAID 0 in such a setup & it works great.

Solution