[SOLVED] This CPU temp is okay? (Ryzen)

erdeicsalad10

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017
So i'm using my R5 3600 build for a few months, testing what's the best temp + OC for my setup.
The main problem is that my current CPU cooler is an FSP Windale 4, and i can only install it as bottom to top on AM4.
The second problem is that i don't have a top fan exhaust on my case, so basically most of the heat is mixes around in my case.
So i'm asking if 74-75°C for this CPU while gaming is okay, or a "no go"?
It's even worse with PBO + 200MHz enabled, but overall my all-core 4.2GHz with kinda low voltage seems even better in gaming based on my tests.

I have a Zalman Z1 case.

My OC settings are:
CPU: 4.2GHz 1.3V
RAM (Corsair LPX E-die 3200MHz CL16): 3600MHz CL16 1.39V

Solution
So do you think auto OC + PBO would be a better choice? I've used PBO with a minus offset, whish was pretty stable, and definitely less temp spikes, and a bit less performance in multicores. Temp spikes are the most arrogant thing i've experienced with my first Ryzen CPU.

PS:
Actually i turned off every CPU boost, and it's completely stock/AUTO.
Now it just gives me kinda poor multicore Cinebench R15 performance (1495 vs 1605), and even worse temp, like it jumps immediately to 77°C, and max is 79-80°C.
Even the temp spikes are crazy, like 8-13°C jumps.
It probably will give less multi-threaded performance because before you had it all-core locked at 4.2Ghz, the max rated single core boost, and 1.3V. But it's doubtful...
So i'm using my R5 3600 build for a few months, testing what's the best temp + OC for my setup.
The main problem is that my current CPU cooler is an FSP Windale 4, and i can only install it as bottom to top on AM4.
The second problem is that i don't have a top fan exhaust on my case, so basically most of the heat is mixes around in my case.
So i'm asking if 74-75°C for this CPU while gaming is okay, or a "no go"?
It's even worse with PBO + 200MHz enabled, but overall my all-core 4.2GHz with kinda low voltage seems even better in gaming based on my tests.

I have a Zalman Z1 case.

My OC settings are:
CPU: 4.2GHz 1.3V
RAM (Corsair LPX E-die 3200MHz CL16): 3600MHz CL16 1.39V
I'd turn off the fixed voltage and frequency and go back to AUTO settings. Only when set to AUTO can the processor protect itself from overheat and degradation.

That cooler doesn't look the best and the case arrangement does sound a bit bad...you really want to exhaust the air and not just bounce it off the case top. But that said, 74-75 isn't bad sounding. Even using the stock Wraith might be better especially if you go back to stock settings for multiplier and voltage to keep your processor safe.

I'd turn off the fixed voltage and frequency and go back to AUTO settings. Only when set to AUTO can the processor protect itself from overheat and degradation.

That cooler doesn't look the best and the case arrangement does sound a bit bad...you really want to exhaust the air and not just bounce it off the case top. But that said, 74-75 isn't bad sounding. Even using the stock Wraith might be better especially if you go back to stock settings for multiplier and voltage to keep your processor safe.
Anything below 80C is fine

Thermal throttle is at 95C

However to promote longevity of the processors, don't run over 80C for long periods.

Im running folding@home 24/7 full processor 100% load on a 2400g. It's running at 73C. I don't blink an eye.

Anything below 80C is fine

Thermal throttle is at 95C

However to promote longevity of the processors, don't run over 80C for long periods.

Im running folding@home 24/7 full processor 100% load on a 2400g. It's running at 73C. I don't blink an eye.
I'd be more concerned about using that fixed voltage and multiplier even if those temp's are OK for what he's doing.

Even the extreme overclockers are advising against it, and repeating the advice for those who aren't getting it the first time.:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/g5ufnq/friendly_reminder_that_it_is_not_reccomended_to/

Reactions: GarrettL

erdeicsalad10

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017
I'd be more concerned about using that fixed voltage and multiplier even if those temp's are OK for what he's doing.

Even the extreme overclockers are advising against it, and repeating the advice for those who aren't getting it the first time.:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/g5ufnq/friendly_reminder_that_it_is_not_reccomended_to/

So do you think auto OC + PBO would be a better choice? I've used PBO with a minus offset, whish was pretty stable, and definitely less temp spikes, and a bit less performance in multicores. Temp spikes are the most arrogant thing i've experienced with my first Ryzen CPU.

PS:
Now it just gives me kinda poor multicore Cinebench R15 performance (1495 vs 1605), and even worse temp, like it jumps immediately to 77°C, and max is 79-80°C.

Last edited:

PS:
It probably will give less multi-threaded performance because before you had it all-core locked at 4.2Ghz, the max rated single core boost, and 1.3V. But it's doubtful that would be stable for any kind of heavy long-term processing, something like like Folding@Home 24/7, which is also the only really good reason to do that in the first place.

And even if it is stable it's very likely to degrade over the next 6 months to a year until it's no longer stable. At least, that's according to the people doing similar things themselves and have had their processors long enough to be finding this out.

But using PBO and everything on AUTO would probably give very similar single threaded performance which is what games benefit from the most. And still give you long life without degrading performance.

That's all I'm saying.

Solution

erdeicsalad10

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017
Alright, so i'm gonna use my PBO profile which is around the same, or better in terms of temps with my minus voltage offset, and a bit worse in performance, but that's okay, i don't wanna change this 6/12 core beast for a while. :D
Thanks for the clarification and help.

TRENDING THREADS