This doesn't look good temp-wise. (i7-930)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctah no

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
While idle it ran hot, figured stock cooler wasn't doing its job even at stock speed. Got myself a Thermalright Ultra-120X with an extra fan to have push-pull config. It would still get very high at stock speeds and overclocked in Prime 95. Reseated, re-applied thermal paste, dot/line/thin spread etc. Nothing seems to work.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/783/tempso.png

Looking at the maximum, it always got too high for my liking during stress testing. Is this just a bad chip or what?

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
x2 on the open case.... if the temp is drop a good amount... then your problem is the case....

check your vcore, is it on auto? auto usally have near max on vcore and cause more heat/volt then needed

not really, One thing that hyperthreading does do is to make the cpu/operating system interface more efficient so that more stuff can be running at the same time, without idle (no-op) states. The more it runs, the more heat is generated, because it generates the heat least when it is doing nothing.

I doubt if it generates significant additional heat. In any case, the additional heat should only be important if you are over-clocking or if your case is filled with dust so that you are already close to the edge.

maybe your PSU up to 850W !

doctah no

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Took some time for this stuff to get here... anyway, ordered 3, 140mm fans one in front blowing in, two on top blowing air out. Hottest it has gotten was 68-71 while running intelburntest, linpack and prime 95 at 4.00Ghz, it stays WELL below that during normal operations and multitasking. Was all just a simple matter of bad airflow. At least, I hope that was all.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

That's fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS