I'm not sure where to ask this, but ...

How do I manage to get the same layout as this forum ?

i.e. the post headers on the left side and the reply on the right. Is there
a simple table format I can code into a template ?

All forums should be laid out this way IMHO. The forum developers have all
went for the wrong format, meaning we do double the clicking or unecessary
scrolling. This is the correct format (except they seem to load all replies
in the thread when we unfold a thread, which means wasting time waiting for
all the replies to load)

Thank you both for the replies.

I have never tried newsgroups. Obviously they use the layout I am looking
for. I don't understand why web forum developers didnt go for the same layout.

One thing I am concerned about is the fact my IP is showing on newsreaders.
Nowadays I don't think this is a good idea for security reasons. I noticed on
a web forum recently that someone had access to posters IPs. Maybe this
explains how he did it. I am also surprised that peoples email addresses are
showing here (voluntarily, but maybe they are unaware of it).

Anyhow thanks again. I will def be trying out a newsreader today. I don't
use outlook express but I will if I have to. I wondered why newsgroups still
existed. I presume there is another benefit (such as not having to host the
group online or something)

back to the original point, is there a way I can format a web forum in the
newsgroup style ?

Is there a line in the source code for this page that I can copy or
something ? or is there a website that shows how to do this layout ?

From: "comfysofa" <comfysofa@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Thank you both for the replies.
|
| I have never tried newsgroups. Obviously they use the layout I am looking
| for. I don't understand why web forum developers didnt go for the same layout.
|
| One thing I am concerned about is the fact my IP is showing on newsreaders.
| Nowadays I don't think this is a good idea for security reasons. I noticed on
| a web forum recently that someone had access to posters IPs. Maybe this
| explains how he did it. I am also surprised that peoples email addresses are
| showing here (voluntarily, but maybe they are unaware of it).
|
| Anyhow thanks again. I will def be trying out a newsreader today. I don't
| use outlook express but I will if I have to. I wondered why newsgroups still
| existed. I presume there is another benefit (such as not having to host the
| group online or something)

You web based post has headers. The folowing is in the header...

There is nothing insecure about showing a IP. It onnly points to the ISP or News Server
host and maybe the region from where it was posted. One can NOT use the IP and tell your
home (postal) address.

When it comes to the email address, one should always munge their email address when posting
to News Group. The world wider infrastructure of News Servers is known as UseNet or the
Users Network.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Can't get your postal address, but according from this, you're in New
Jersey. (Jersey City?).

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

> From: "comfysofa" <comfysofa@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Thank you both for the replies.
> |
> | I have never tried newsgroups. Obviously they use the layout I am
> looking
> | for. I don't understand why web forum developers didnt go for the same
> layout.
> |
> | One thing I am concerned about is the fact my IP is showing on
> newsreaders.
> | Nowadays I don't think this is a good idea for security reasons. I
> noticed on
> | a web forum recently that someone had access to posters IPs. Maybe this
> | explains how he did it. I am also surprised that peoples email addresses
> are
> | showing here (voluntarily, but maybe they are unaware of it).
> |
> | Anyhow thanks again. I will def be trying out a newsreader today. I
> don't
> | use outlook express but I will if I have to. I wondered why newsgroups
> still
> | existed. I presume there is another benefit (such as not having to host
> the
> | group online or something)
>
> You web based post has headers. The folowing is in the header...

> There is nothing insecure about showing a IP. It onnly points to the ISP
> or News Server
> host and maybe the region from where it was posted. One can NOT use the
> IP and tell your
> home (postal) address.
>
> When it comes to the email address, one should always munge their email
> address when posting
> to News Group. The world wider infrastructure of News Servers is known as
> UseNet or the
> Users Network.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks again for the replies. I'm not bothered so much about my postal
address. I'm more bothered about people breaking into my computer via the IP.

It looks like my current ISP doesnt allow newsgroup access.

I'm surprised newsgroups are still using the old fashioned way of quoting
though. For the most part I think people should delete the quote on this
forum ;)

Its Hotchilli in the UK. I havent contacted them yet but from what I have
read they don't do a newsgroup connection.

From: "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid>

| Can't get your postal address, but according from this, you're in New
| Jersey. (Jersey City?).
|
| http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation
| --
| Bruce Hagen
| MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
| ~IB-CA~

Yep. NJ. But like I said "...maybe the region from where it was posted". Thank G-d I
don't live in or around Jersey City !!

I live on the beach on the Jersey Shore.

From: "comfysofa" <comfysofa@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Thanks again for the replies. I'm not bothered so much about my postal
| address. I'm more bothered about people breaking into my computer via the IP.
|
| It looks like my current ISP doesnt allow newsgroup access.
|
| I'm surprised newsgroups are still using the old fashioned way of quoting
| though. For the most part I think people should delete the quote on this
| forum ;)

Hackers will attack an open IP address if you post to a News Group or not. A unprotected,
unpatched, PC can be compramised within 20 minutes !

If you are using Broadband, Cable or DSL then get a Cable/DSL Router. Due to NAT and
simplistic FireWall capabilities such a device can be made to be almost an invisible site on
the Intternet and would make hack attacks undesireable. This includes Internet worms.

As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks David. I will be getting a router ASAP. I know the basics of internet
security, but from what I have read a router is a basic necessity now for
security even for a standalone computer.

I will be using the advice you gave.

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:03:28 -0700, comfysofa
<comfysofa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks again for the replies. I'm not bothered so much about my postal
>address. I'm more bothered about people breaking into my computer via the IP.
>
>It looks like my current ISP doesnt allow newsgroup access.
>
>I'm surprised newsgroups are still using the old fashioned way of quoting
>though. For the most part I think people should delete the quote on this
>forum ;)

It's unlikely your ISP completely disallows connection to a USENET
server. What is more likely is that they don't provide you with a
USENET feed.

You don't need them. You can subscribe to a premium news service and
get the tens of thousands of newsgroups without relying on your ISP.
It's fairly cheap (I pay $14.95/month for unlimited downloads) and the
only way to go.

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

comfysofa <comfysofa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 4 Sep
2005:

>Its Hotchilli in the UK. I havent contacted them yet but from what I have
>read they don't do a newsgroup connection.

At those prices, they certainly should have a news server!

But as Michael Stevens said, you can subscribe to the Microsoft groups
via Microsoft's own news server at msnews.microsoft.com
There are also several excellent free news servers you can use for other
groups.

--
Nightowl