News This graphics card makes it easy to have more than four displays — sub-$100 DisplayLink adapter uses a PCIe x1 slot

plateLunch

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Sounds like something you could make a good stock trading setup with. You don't need fancy gaming graphics but having a lot of monitors running with different charts is nice.

Reactions: Blackink

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Displaylink works great in a dock, for an extra display, but the refresh rate as well as the CPU resources used are noticeable from my past experience, For a modern platform, maybe not much of an issue. The output is perfectly suitable for coding and research, but painful for video or any motion. . As most GPU's already sport 4 displays available and additionally if you use intel and have the iGPU switched on in the bios, that is another 4 displays available(although most mobo only have 2 outputs available), not sure on the use case.

For focus I am now finding less is more, but do whatever works best for your workflow. This may be a bargain for digital signage, an update to the old slim HD 5450 output gpus. Its the sole reason I bought a GT 1030 for $80 back in 2017.

Last edited:

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
What does this mean?
Mostly that it's a pure 2D device with probably some video acceleration where any 3D would have to be done by the CPU.

Now actually an iGPU's or dGPU's power could probably be harnished having them render in off-screen pixmaps, which would the be either transcoded or simply BitBlt to the (probably) on card frame buffer, but that's a lot of software work (similar to Steam Remote) for limited benefits DL will want to avoid.

And that means doing 2D stuff on the monitors connected to DL adapters should be just fine. If you're intending to play GPU intensive games, better use the screens connected to those.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I do not believe this, my computer has no reference to a fibeo port. What is this magic that Avram Piltch can find on most recent graphics cards? Please let this not be a typo, a fibeo port sounds like just what my computer needs for more sparkle!