[SOLVED] This is going to sound a little dumb..

struganator

Commendable
Nov 21, 2019
I received a EVGA 2070 super black attached to a water block I didn't need. I had to remove the base plate and reattach the stock one before attaching the stock cooler. The thermal standoff pads ( I think that's what they're called) weren't all correctly on the base plate. Someone helped me put them back in their right places but they winged it and some of the standoffs didn't make it back in. The card is back in the pc and running good temps. Is there anything I should be worried about with these standoffs not all being in there?

Solution
Thanks so much for the help. The pads around the square of the chip itself are on there. Do you have a diagram by any chance?
Basically as long as nothing from this side of the video card lost anything, it's probably fine.
front.jpg

This is what the other side looks like. If anything is missing from here, it's probably not an issue.
back.jpg

(images from https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvida-geforce-rtx-2070-super/4.html)

struganator

Commendable
Nov 21, 2019
yes, the plate just above the heatsink. The two plates sandwich together with the thermal pads between them. They fell off when I was removing the plate from the bag. The fellow that helped me didn't put some of them back on and said he thought they were just extra because it wouldn't fit quite right with them all on. I've ran the card pretty hard to benchmark and everything seems okay and the temps are fine. I'm just not sure if some of those pads are vital to protecting parts of the card or if they are just an overkill sort of thing from the manufacturer.

Looking at photographs of the underside... topside... the uninteresting side of the 2070, it doesn't look like there's anything important that needs cooling. Thermal pads may have been there to help with extra heat dissipation of say the VRM or VRAM, but I don't think it's enough to be vital to either.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution